revolvers, revolvers, revolvers... what's a person to do?

meat

I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out which .357 mag to get for home defense. I have been researching through old and new posts about revolvers for home defense. I've posted quite a few questions in the past, but still have not been able to make up my mind confidently about a purchase.
I have pretty much ruled out the Taurus revolvers. It just seems like they have had a somewhat sketchy record (no offense to taurus fans). I have really become interested in 2 revolver companies, Ruger and Smith and Wesson. However, these 2 seem to have their share of spottines too. Rumors abound that both companies no longer produce quality products of workmanship. This is very disturbing to me, because I want something that I can trust will go bang when I pull the trigger!!!:mad:
So what's a fella to do? The 2 guns that I am primarilly interested in are the Ruger SP101 3 1/16" and the S&W Model 60 3". Of these 2, which will be more likely to serve a lifelong purpose of protecting and going bang when the trigger gets pulled? Please excuse my earlier ranting. I know there's no such thing as a perfect product, I just want something that works and is well made. Thanks in advance.. And, if anyone knows, is it true that Ruger and S&W product quality has gone down??

ReverendHobo

In a gadzillion of recent threads on the same topic I did notice some people complain about the quality of the new S&Ws, but not about Rugers. Still, that doesn't change the fact that you can get a used S&W in an excellent condition and for a reasonable price. I cannot imagine how you could go wrong with a used S&W 586 or 19.

I would recommend that you go to a range and rent the revolvers you might be interested in and see how you like shooting them. Anytime I do that, and when I rent some guns I haven't shot before, it is an eye opener for me. To my amazement I once discovered I could barely put all the rounds into paper with a Ruger snub (GP100, I tried a few, same result), yet I could double-tap within 1" from 7 yards with S&W 686. Go figure. Someone else might have exactly opposite reaction.

Selection of a gun is highly subjective, and without shooting the guns for yourself, you should not make a decision to purchase.

Rob96

I'm a bit biased......

as I currently have a Ruger KGP-141 on my hip right now. Had a S&W686, had some problems, and got out of the revolver thing for a while. Got the Ruger for my b-day last year and love it. Do agree with checking around for nice used revovlers. Mine was sold to me used but never fired (LNIB) for $269. Have seen Ruger ZGP100's in excellent shape sell for $229 to $239. If the gun is going to be strictly for home defense I would opt for something in the GP sereis or like a S&W model 686 or 19. I have also heard of S&W quality slipping since they went to the frame mounted firing pin, don't know personally. Watched a guy that was a verifiable S&W nut go over a new 686 at a local gun shop for a good 20-30 minutes. Needless to say he wasn't satisfied with it, for whatever reason. Everyone puts out a lemon every now and then. If you would happen to get one with a Ruger, their Customer Service Dept. will treat you right. Besides building accurate , durable revovlers they are known for their Customer Service.

Kevinch

Well, my 1989 vintage 6 inch M686-1 has been very good to me - although I will admit, it had to go back to S&W for excessive end shake early on. It was repaired & has been nothing short of 100% since.

FWIW, my Taurus M85 & Ruger MK II both had to take trips "back home" for warranty work also. I've learned that while it doesn't always happen, such instances are not uncommon.

Much more so now than when I first started getting into guns, I search the used gun cases for what I am looking for - especially in revolvers. Your dollar goes a lot further, and there are usually a lot of nice, well maintained guns to choose from. (With S&W it is the only way to buy - don't give them your hard earned money until they change their ways.) The last 3 revolvers I bought were used.

I would suggest you do the same and cruise the used gun market. You may want to open up your barrel requirements to between 3" and 4"or thereabout, anything in there would do fine. My personal preference is 4". Either Ruger or S&W will provide you with good service. Although I always lean to S&W in DA revolvers, I would have to say the Ruger is probably built stronger. Haven't looked at a new Ruger in a long time & have no reason to look at a new S&W so I can't help you with the QC report on either.

Rob96

Agree with Kevin, cruise the used cases. Local dealer here has a really nice Ruger Security Six,w/fixed sites and 3" barrel for $219, could probably get it for an even $200. Just has slight bluing wear. Deals like this are all over.

VictorLouis

I wouldn't recommend a small frame, short barrel

for HD. Between the two you mentioned, however, my preference is with the Smith. I just find their actions to be more agreeable with my trigger finger.:) The Ruger has a little more weight and, combined with excellent rubber grips, it will recoil less than the same load in the M60.

Listen to he other folks, though, and seek out a larger framed 6-shot gun as your first revolver.

I wouldn't give the quality of a Smith or Ruger a second thought. Buy which ever one you like and don't look back. Go to an internet auction site such as Gunbroker.com or Gunsamerica. Use the search function to type in Smith or whatever. See what these guns are going for on the market. You may find something you like right there. I know I never looked at it when I didn't see a few hundred things I liked.
If I could only own one revolver, it would be my Ruger stainless GP100. But I absolutely love Smiths also. I buy as many of them as I can afford. They are beautiful, smooth, accurate, beautiful. The Ruger however is my go-to gun. When I am out in the boonies, it is on my hip. I won't put my Smiths in holsters because I don't want to harm the finish in any way.

VTR996

I bought a used S&W model 65 4" for $250.00 we didn't get along, traded it for a Rossi 68 5 shot we got along good till that Blackhawk spoke up so I sent the Rossi down the road. Then when all was good came this Speed Six along one day, It is a great little gun 4"er D/A not too big, just right. Now the Blackhawk just sits there while the Speed Six gets all the attention.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Smith & Wesson 686-5

Meat-

Considering all aspect's of a home defense handgun, have you
ever thought about a Smith & Wesson 6" barrel, model 686? Of
all the handguns I own, the 686-5 with a 6" tube is my choice
for HD. The reason being, ease of operation. Loaded with a
cylinder full of .38 Special +P ammo, any adult member's
of my household can safely use it; to defend their live's, or the
lives of someone else who may be in imminent danger. Right
now, my daughter and her husband reside with my wife and
I; so I had to take this into consideration before making my
choice, as my wife and son-inlaw are not avid handguner's
but my daughter walks in my foot-steps.

The 6" barrel is easier for a novice to control, and the 686-5
is suppose to have the improved quality; that is associated
with Smith revolver's from the past.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

meat

I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I guess for me it really boils down to which revolver manufacturer makes better, more reliable products, has better service (for reapairs and whatnot), and can be used easily by other family members. Right now, I'm still confused. I guess I just thought that the smaller revolvers would be better for my female partner to use because she has small hands. But if this isn't a problem, then maybe I will look at a larger revolver. I still don't know whether to get a Ruger or a S&W however. If you had to pick between one of these manufacturers, who would you pick based on what I'm looking for in a revolver? I don't mean to start a flame war here, I'm just asking for some good, honest facts.....

WESHOOT2

FACTS?

My oldest daughter was eight the first time she made ammo for (38 Special, natch) and fired my GP100.

A S&W Model 10/13/65/66/67 will fit any hand, and the GP/686 usually fits, too.

I bought two GP's so my wife could compete (IPSC), but she carries a J-frame S&W.

The Ruger is stronger; the S&W will usually have an 'easier' trigger action.
Both may be stunningly accurate with chosen ammo.
Stick to a 3-4" barrel, regardless of brand.

I've owned both brands, but prefer the strength, accuracy, durability, and trigger of Rugers.

That's a fact, too.

maxwayne

Do what I did, get a Smith 19 snub and a 4 inch, a Smith 27, Smith 49, Smith 36, liked the first 36 so much that I got another one. Also a Ruger Sec Six in 4 inch and a 6 inch to go along with it. See what you like the best and then move up to larger calibers.

dairycreek

I would not choose between the two manufacturers per se,

Both make fine revolvers in .357. I agree with Tamara that the 4" barrels make more sense given the criteria you set forth. Both are solid and reliable choices. So, given that go for price. What is the best price you can get for the revolver of your choice?

Dot_mdb

HD Gun

On this one Ala Dan and I think alike. I keep a six inch S&W 686-5 loaded with .38 +P ammo in the bedroom.

Downstairs I keep a 3 inch Ruger Speed Six loaded with the same type ammo.

I have found that S&W customer service is excellent and the turn around time on repairs is around 2 weeks.

I think that with any new gun it pays to look as closely as you can before you make the purchase. My guess is that quality control at both companies is unfortunately about the same.

Bill

Kevinch

I still don't know whether to get a Ruger or a S&W however. If you had to pick between one of these manufacturers, who would you pick based on what I'm looking for in a revolver? I don't mean to start a flame war here, I'm just asking for some good, honest facts.....

I hope you don't think this is an original question; it has probably been asked at least once a day in every town in the USA! :)

Your original question seems to ask which gun will provide a lifetime of service in a home defense roll. The answer is both will.

As mentioned before, the Ruger is probably built stonger. It will be a more "chunky" gun in size.

The S&W will be a more "graceful" size, and will probably have a better trigger.

Both will be accurate.

No one can pick the size for you. Many suggestions have been offered, from a 2 1/2" snub nose to a 6" barrel. You indicated a preference for 3"; 4" was also mentioned. Both are comfortably in the center of the range of lengths identified as appropriate.

Not to be redundant, I would begin searching for a good used S&W or Ruger (these are the brands you like) with some general guidlines: mine would be barrel length between 3" & 4", 6 round capacity, .357 Mag, prefer SS over blued, prefer adjustable sights over fixed, etc. Your criteria may be a little different. But begin your search with these guidlines in place, & when you find a gun you like, at a price you like, examine the characteristics & if it fits enough of your guidlines, buy it! :)

If decent sized gun shows regularly come to an area nearby, you may want to wait until the next show & spend some time there. Even if a deal cannot be made, the selection should be ample enough to help you define your requirement.

tonyz

revolvers, revolvers, revolvers... what's a person to do? Buy MORE MORE MORE!!

I find of all my revolver's my Ruger GP-100 with an action job, is my most accurate, fun to shoot revolver I have.
I had looked a the *$* 686 and I just like the lines better on the ruger. After I get it sand blasted to a satin finish and Some nice wood Grips.
I know I will have a lifetime keeper.

Tony