Revolvers in New Bond Film

ReadyOnTheRight

Did anyone else notice all the revolvers in the new James Bond Film? Is this the beginning of a new wheelgun trend?

Does anyone know which revolver he picked up in Cuba? I'm guessing it was a S&W .357.

WhoKnowsWho

It was strange seeing him with a revolver, but I was thinking P99! P99! And then they made me happy when they showed him cleaning it... :)

VictorLouis

In 'Romeo Must Die' the minor antagonist

does some fancy handling, including speedloading, with a wheel gun. The only trouble is, it's a Taurus.:eek:

alamo

TNN showed all the Bond movies last weekend. In "Live and Let Die", Roger Moore uses a revolver to shoot a witch doctor.

Robert Foote

If that was 'cleaning' a 99, then I have been doing it wrong all these years...

Nice to see a wheelgun in a Bond movie, but obviously they can't resist slamming the cylinder shut to show how tough and determined they are.

Oh, well. It's just Hollywood.

Pinball

Hey alamo,
I was watching that Bond movie on TNN also.Looked like he had a S&W magnum revolver.Maybe a 586.

alamo

I had forgotten about that scene and wasn't looking closely when it came on. That is probably a good guess, looked like a big S&W. Wasn't it stainless though, that would be a 686. The movie was made around 1973 as I seem to recall.

Nick96

Watched a bit of "You Only Live Twice" last night. In the scene in the Ninja Training Camp where the "love interest" is poisened - Bond off's the bad guy with a snub revolver.

As I recall from the same movie, in the fight scene at the ship yard - the Walther PPK somehow turns into a Beretta in a shot or two.

Also towards the end in Blowfeld's quarters, he holds up an x-ray image and states it's a Walther PPK - looked to me like a PP. Also in "Dr. No" the PPK turns into a PP in a few scenes.

I can't believe I'm picking up on this kind of stuff in movies. Like seeing '57 Chevy's in movies that were suppose to take place in 1955. Must be a "Senior" thing.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
yeah, Nick96 - - -

- - -But I've been doing it for years.
My new bride (we've only known each other for 14 years) is throughly used to my automatically identifying guns in movies and on TV. I now seldom comment unless it is something unusual. It's gotten to the point where, if SHE doesn't recognize something, she asks me. She recognizes Glocks, of course, but the exact model doesn't really interest her. I gave her a Kel Tec P11 several years ago, but she's generally bored with handguns other than 1911s or Browning HPs, or rifles other than the AR15.

Best,
Johnny

warhammer357

Bonds wheelguns....

In the books Bond used a lot of wheelguns.
He used a .38 snubby in several of them, including Dr. No. He also occassionally used a .45 revolver of some sort, probably a Colt new Service or Smith and Wesson Hand Ejector....it is mentioned as his car gun in one Fleming tale.

guy sajer

Since we are mentioning other movies ...

Mel Gibson made a good one a couple years ago called "Payback ". After picking a man's pocket to get his credit cards , he buys a Rolex or something from the jewelry store then takes it to the pawn shop for cash . He then buys an S&W M28 4" from the unscrupulous pawn dealer "under the table" . He uses it to good effect .

warhammer357

Lee Marvin

That was a Model 29 in Payback. The reason it was there was as a homage to the great Lee Marvin, who carried a four inch model 29 in Point Blank, the original movie that Payback was based on.
Ironically both movies were based on an old Richard Stark novel where the main character had a Colt Commander in .38 super....
Point Blank was directed by John Boorman, who also directed Excaliber and Emerald Forest and many other classic films. Ironically, it featured the .44 magnum before Clint Eastwood made it famous in Dirty Harry.
John Vernon, who was to appear in some of the Dirty Harry films was also in Payback, he played the crooked partner.....