Revolvers from JG

EdInk

I see alot of trade-in S&W revolvers especially 64's in stainless for around $200-$250. They are listed in Good to Very Good condition. Usually the are bobbed hammer and DAO.

My questions are:
Have you bought one?
What was the listed condition?
How was the trigger (smooth, heavy, good, light, etc)?
Did the springs need to be changed?
Where and how much did you pay for a new hammer?
How much did new grips set you back?
Can they handle +p ammo?

Any complaints or praise for them?

I've seen some nice ones people have cleaned up but I am
more concerned about performance.

Thank you.

EdInk

I read the thread. Mostly need to know best place to get new hammer and new grips. (Online) Also, will it take +P ammo and did they order "good" or "very condition."

Brian Williams

If it is a model number S&W it will take +p. Anything before that is questionable.
This will open the enivitable can-o-worms that yesteryears 38 special is more potent than todays +p.

jglsprings

This link will answer most of your questions........

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3995041&postcount=4

Here is another thread where some of the pitfalls are covered.......

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6464451&postcount=40

My questions are:
Have you bought one? Yep
What was the listed condition? Very Good Plus
How was the trigger (smooth, heavy, good, light, etc)? Outstanding, smooth, not too heavy
Did the springs need to be changed? Nope
Where and how much did you pay for a new hammer? $25.00 used on the S&W Forums classifieds, available Brownells (maybe), Numrich? maybe)
How much did new grips set you back? $80.00 New from S&W YIKES
Can they handle +p ammo? Yep

Any complaints or praise for them? Outstanding gun at twice the price.

The DAO trigger was so smooth I put the DAO hammer back in.

P.S.
"revolverrandy" should be around sometime soon. he loves his as well.

Last edited:

18DAI

I bought a 3" 64-3 from J&G, DAO with flash chromed hammer and trigger. I'll answer your questions in the order you asked them.

Mine was listed as "good to very good" condition. It arrived with some accumulated grime which cleaned off with some elbow grease, Flitz and Scotchbrite pads. Easily a 90% gun.

The trigger on mine is SMOOTH and light (I'd guess 6 lbs). Actually every bit as good as the trigger on my pre lock PC 586-5 L-comp. Easy to shoot accurately. My GF put all six in the 10 ring at 15 yards shooting this J&G 64 the first time.

No spring or hammer changes here. I only shoot my revolvers double action. No need to do otherwise.....for me.

$325 with shipping and transfer fee. Best revolver money I've spent in years. A steal when you compare it to the asking prices for currently produced S&W revolvers which aren't as good (ugly MIM parts / poor QC ect).

Yes, 38+P is fine in these model 64's.

J&G is great. I'm totally satisfied and will buy from them again....very soon. Regards 18DAI.

collector rob

I bought 2, a M64 NY-1 in VG+ DAO, and a M64 DA/SA VG. Both were better than advertised. The NY came with Pachmyer Grippers and has a really slick DAO trigger. The M64 DA/SA came with factory magna style grips and has a crisp SA pull. The DA is good, but not a good as the NY-1.
I have not changed any of the springs, and don't plan on it, unless they break.

dwwhite

After visiting numerous gun shops with my wife, along with several range trips to try a variety of guns, she finally got fed up with me, or the store clerks, or both, and said, "Just buy me a gun that you think will be good and I'll use it."

I bought one of the square butt NY-1 guns from JG sales advertised as good condition, thinking that for $199 (at the time), I couldn't get hurt too badly even if she hated it and refused to use it. She and I have both fallen in love with it, and I now have a tough time keeping .38 SPL reloads around the house. It's often a fight for who gets to put the last cylinder through it at the range.

The only complaint I had, (hardly a real complaint, since the grips were advertised as really rough) was that the pachmayer stocks looked like a large animal had chewed them half to death. Otherwise the gun was in great, near new condition. A pair of service stocks and a Tyler T-grip later, it is one of our favorite guns and the one that has gotten my wife to be a proficient and enthusiastic handgun shooter. Show me a better deal than that for $250 out the door.

EdInk

Sounds like a good deal. I don't really want it for myself it. The plan was to
give it as a "thank you" gift for my mom, for helping me with my upcoming wedding. I would love to get her a model 10 like she used to have as a deputy sheriff but between the wedding, bills and other expenses that simply ain't happening on my budget. I think buying one of the 64's and cleaning it up with some mag polish and new hogues would fit the bill. What do you think?