Revolvers Are Coming Back!

Ronin 99

This is what my gunsmith told me as I was paying for the two pre-owned Smittys I bought this weekend. Never really thought about it but after pondering it some I can see where the revolver may have taken a back seat to the semi-auto over the last ten or fifteen years. Well anyway,wheelguns have suddenly become my passion and I'm wondering if my gunsmith is right. Just curious as to what you guys think.
Ronin

Walosi

Krunchenticker Fog

They never went anywhere :) They were just hidden behind the smoke and mirrors of the "Krunchenticker" ballyhoo. Reliability and accuracy, and the possibility of more powerful cartridges, will keep the revolver around for a long, long time :D

Yanus

At least for serious handgunners, revolvers never left. They just aren't as sexy in the gun rags and movies as the gizillion mm Taylor limited edition Squash'em Flat magnum. With GPS positioning and night sights, of course. What is old is new again to a whole new generation of shooters. I enjoy both, but I find myself carrying a .357 mag for self-defense almost all of the time.
Revolvers are a handloader's dream. They are far more versatile than any semi auto, period. I know that is heresay to some folks, but it is the truth. You can load anything from shot shells to rubber bullets in a revolver.

Revolver sales certainly suffered a hit in the 1980s and '90s, no doubt about that, both in the civilian and the police markets.

But if you take a look at what has been happening over the last 10 years or so, the revolver, espcially the small CCW revolver, has made a TREMENDOUS comeback.

Back in 1994 I worked on an article for American Rifleman on small-frame revolvers (August 1994, I believe).

In talking with different reps for the manufacturers, one thing came through loud and clear -- revolver sales were strong, and in some cases were outselling the "wonderguns."

Sling Shot

For me, I can just shoot a revolver more accurately, and that is why I own them and prefer them over semiautomatics. Plus, they look cool too!!! Sling Shot

Erich

Don't recall that they ever went away . . .

I have to say, when I want it to be 100% go off or hit hard, I reach for a revo. My 940 is small enough to carry all day in the front pocket of my jeans, yet packs a pretty nice (and totally controllable) punch. Beats a .380 or one of those little plastic Kelgren things.

I like my BHP .40 (it usually sits by my bed at night, and good to carry, too), but now that the bears are visiting town for the summer, I've switched it out for Mr. .41 Blackhawk.

VictorLouis

Two recent movies had villians w/revos

In both "Romeo Must Die", and 'The Way of the Gun", the BGs with the most screen time had wheelguns. Hollywood has not forgotten!:)

C.R.Sam

Revolvers are leftovers from the bronze age. Inaccurate, shoot wimpy cartridges, can't fire with the magazine out, fragile, unsafe, leak fire to the sides, require marksmanship and judgement for proper use. They get your hands dirty. Can't limp wrist em.

That said, the guns at hand as I type are revolvers.

When required to carry a 1911, my backup was either a M&P or a 36.

Sam

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Nut'in like shoot'in 'em wheel guns!!!

Semi-auto's are in an entirely different world. I kind'a like 'em
good ole' day's from yester-year; watching Palladin and Matt
Dillion mow their opponent down with 'em old single-action
revolver's!!!:):D

Sometimes I lasp back into the revolver world; and over the years
I've made some great shot's with "wheel guns", as fellow member
Capbuster can attest too. One while, he and I were considered
the "eagle eye's" for our area shoot's. But, that day has long
since pasted; as I can barely see any more!!! Long live revolver's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

M

M58

Ditto above...
And the 10 round mag
:barf:
made the revolver interesting again.

When it hits the fan, I will have my 3" M657.
:p

C.R.Sam

Mike, for somebody a lot younger than my kids, you pretty uppity boyah. I went back and read my post. I can see where you might be confused. However, I don't leak fire to the sides. Only to the rear.:rolleyes:

Sam.....follow me, I know a shortcut.

scoops

i think cops should go back to carrying .357 mags again.most gun battles are less than 3-4 rounds .by going back to revolvers it would empisize acuracy and do away with the spray n pray techniqe so popular today.
besides with all the hoop la about 9mm not powerful enough(i strongly diagree)and going to .40 cal,acuracy and follow ups are even more of a problem.lrts be real here yhe .357 is the gold standard .:eek:

WIL TERRY

REVOLVERS HAVE NEVER "WENT AWAY" NOR HAVE THEIR SALES EVER DECREASED SIGNIFICANTLY. MATTER OF FACT DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE AUTOLOADING PISTOL CRAZYNESS SMITH AND WESSON SOLD NEARLY AS MANY SIXGUNS AS AUTOPISTOLS AND SOLD AS MANY SIXGUNS SOME YEARS AS ALL THE GLOCKS, SIGS, AMD HK'S COMBINED.
THESE NEW FANGLED AUTOPISTOLS ARE JUST AN ABBERATION, BOYS. THEY'LL ALL BE A FIGMENT OF OUR IMAGINATIONS IN A FEW YEARS AND YOUR SIXGUNS WILL STILL BE THERE DOING THEIR JOB.
THERE ARE POLICE DEPARTMENTS WHO HAVE ALREADY GONE BACK TO 357 SIXGUNS, AND THE SMART COPS, WHO WERE THERE WHEN THE AUTOPISTOL LOONIES STRUCK, KEPT THEIR SIXGUNS AND NEVER LOOKED BACK.
CAREER CRIMINALS HAVE STATED THEY LOOK AT A COPS GUN AND THEY NEVER MESS WITH AN OLDTIMER CARRYING A SIXGUN BECAUSE THEY KNOW HE KNOWS HE'S DOING, AND CAN ACTUALLY SHOOT THAT GUN WELL OR HE WOULD NOT HAVE KEPT IT.
MY FAVORITE [ GUNWISE ] LE OUTFIT, A SHERIFF'S [ SHURFS, IF YOU'RE IN TEXAS...L O L...] DEPARTMENT ISSUES RUGER 45COLT BLACKHAWK SIXGUNS AND HAVE NEVER HAD A FAILURE WITH IT. USUALLY WHEN THEY PULL IT THE VERY SIGHT OF IT QUIETS THE MOST SURLY OF DIRTBAGS. EVERYONE KNOWS A "COWBOY GUN" WHEN THEY SEE IT AND KNOW THEY NEVER MISS.
SINGLE ACTON SIXGUNS ARE CALLED "KILLIN' GUNS" BY MANY CAREER CRIMINALS.

tyro

TERRY MURBACH,

Sorry I was not able to read your post.

All-caps strains my eyes and boggles my mind...