Revolvers and locking points

mattgreennra

I'm a handgun novice and I had a little question that I've been wondering about. I know most revolver makers have their guns lockup ins 2 or 3 places.

-What are the advantages, or disadvantages to locking up in 3 places rather than 2?
+Does a gun that locks up in more places handle "house" loads better?

Thanks.

Dfariswheel

Few revolvers these days lock up in three places.
One of the few was the old pre-war S&W "Triple lock".

Guns like the Colt's and Dan Wesson's locked in one place, S&W and Ruger lock in two.

Some people claim that multiple locking points increase durability of the revolver, but this doesn't hold, since single lock guns proved over the years to be as long lasting as multiple lock guns.

What it comes down to is the designers idea of a locking method that worked for him.
The larger Dan Wesson's and the Colt Anaconda were famous for strength, even though they locked in only one place.

The Colt's lock only at the rear of the cylinder, but the locking pin is a fairly massive part, and the Colt's cylinder rotates clockwise, which presses it into the frame and uses the frame to support it.

The S&W locks at the rear of the cylinder and at the front of the ejector rod.
However, the S&W rear locking pin is comparatively tiny, and the lock at the front is not particularly strong or durable.
Both seem to last equally long.

Tom2

you can have another lock point added by a gunsmith. They can add a captive spring loaded ball bearing into the top of the crane, and a detent in the bottom of the frame where it contacts. Brownells did sell the materials to do it but I would call it an expert's job. Locks the front of the crane so there is less of the side to side play of that part on the gun and presumably keeps the cylinder in alignment better. Sort of makes a S&W into a triple lock I guess. All revolvers will more or less loosen up over time with hot loads being fired constantly, particularly magnums. Frames can stretch, cylinders get looser, etc. Even forcing cones on barrels can crack. Think of the pressure of a jacketed magnum slug slamming into the rear of the barrel and then engaging the rifling to start rotating. That is why some folks buy chunkier guns if they intend to use them alot with hot loads. As for amount of firing that will do damage, mostly you can get anecdotes or different gun comparative information, but not so much actual numbers due to the variables.