Revolvers and Laser Grips

BobK

Just bought a new Ruger GP100. Thinking about putting Laser Grips on it. Anyone have Laser Grips on their revolver? What do you think?

This isn't a carry gun. It's for home use only. Mainly for the wife.

Last edited:
I personally think a laser if fine for a SD gun where you will need to draw, aim, and shoot quickly. But as a home defense gun i think they are not a good thing. if you are in the darkened home at night and activate the laser light you might be making a big target out of yourself by giving away you position to someone that is otherwise unfamiliar with you home.

Just my opinion.

BobK,

Once the switch is turned on at the bottom gripping the hand grip activates the laser. Unless you keep one finger off the grip until you have aquired your target the laser will be active and give away your location. If you do keep one finger off the laser button, then aquire your target, applying pressure to the laser button before firing just adds a step to a process that might not be able to afford the extra split second.

BobK

Dan, Laser Grips are'nt nessessarily going to make you more accurate. They are more of a tactical tool. I'm not saying that they won't help. But don't expect a dramatic improvement.

bubbygator

I have had about 6 gun/laser combos. Currently I have Crimson Trace lasergrips on BHP, SW-442, & Ruger Mk-II.

If you are not proficient in hand control and trigger pull, it will be difficult to achieve even SD/HD accuracy with or without a laser. However, most people (& trainers) have found that practicing with a laser improves one's capability and confidence. SD accuracy is not so demanding; it only requires relative consistency, not pin-point hits. Placing all shots in a 5 inch circle on center-of-mass at SD range is very do-able with a laser. Provided you have no physical handicap, you should find shooting with a laser very enjoyable, and sufficiently accurate for your safety.

tomh1426

For SD/HD I wouldnt want to dependant on only a laser sight.
Also Id rather concentrate on what the BG is doing not a red dot.
I dont adjust well so maybe in a few years Ill be for them than against them.
On the other hand I like the idea of a tactical flashlight , you can see better and they see sun spots.
No dot to look at and your not depending on it to aim your weapon.

auberg

I don't have personal experience with a revolver and laser grip, but, my brother has a lot of friends on the local police force. He had a party not all that long ago, and of course the subject finally turned to firearms. As all of us passed around our thoughts, one of the female officers got her backup pistol and showed us her SW .38 with laser grips on it. She swears by it. If its good enough for her to carry as her backup piece, it would be good enough for me.

just my 2 cents.

Ichiro

I have laser grips for both of my carry revolvers: an SP-101 and a 642.

You need to have good trigger control, even with a laser -- keep that dot in the same place before, during and after the trigger pull.

I have a 5-spot target in my basement where I practice dry-firing with these grips. Keeping the laser dot in the bullseye while shooting is difficult with heavy double-action trigger pulls, but it's doable and it's great practice! For the price of a case of practice ammo, you can have a pair of these grips and improve your skill for the rest of your life, at home.

Some say that lasers don't replace the sights. No, they don't, but my fixed sights are still there -- I didn't grind them off when I installed the CTCs, and I still practice shooting and dry-firing with the fixed sights.

Some say the laser will give away your location. I'm not a soldier, an assassin, or a LEO, so giving away my location is not a worry of mine. If I'm under attack, the assailant already knows where I am. If someone breaks into my home, I prefer that they quickly learn that I am there and am armed.

A laser won't improve the inherent accuracy of your gun, of course. But it can drastically improve your accuracy when shooting from all positions other than a normal shooting position.

Bottom line is that they serve a purpose and, for that purpose, they're great.

wolfsong

A couple of thoughts about laser grips. First, I don't think it's wise to rely on a laser in order to have a heightened sense of proficiency or accuracy. What if the laser fails? can you still take the shot? Nothing beats plain old practice, in my book. Also, some cities, counties, and states (or at least their Government attorneys) veiw lasers as an intentional desire to kill and interpret your decision to defend yourself as an act of agression. Some say the same thing about hollow points. You can't hunt with a laser or have a laser equipped gun in your possesion while hunting, so now your side arm choices are reduced when out in the field. And lastly, I'd rather take the money that laser grips cost, add half that cost to it, and buy another gun. Lasers are fur, but so are radio controlled cars, for awhile. Lasers are fun to play with, but when it counts, you have to make the shot and that is no time for playing. Just my .02 worth. Peace and God bless, Wolf.

mordis

I think that getting a laser grip is a wise choice. One poster said that target aquisition time would be to long, and that just to learn to use the normal sights to cut down on that time, well the only problem with that is, in alot of sd/hd scenarios, their is little/no light. From what ive read in the papers and heard from cops that i know, most crimes that require a sd/hd shooting happen around/in night time.

I practice with my m15-3 .38 alot, its my bedside gun. but the front sight on it is dark. i have some orange paint on it to lighten it up but that only helps in the day time, at night, with the lights out, you wont be able to see that front sight at all, which is were the lazer would shine. I have not found it to be a problem in the least to aim my laser and focus on the target at the same time, periphrial(spelling?) vision for the win imho.

This same can be applied to many modern revolvers, i just looked over some at the s&w website and most if not all come with similar sights that mine have, a front ramp sight. Now some have the orange paint built into them, but none have true night sights, which is a real crapper. I looked at my gun and the frount sight is made out of the same chunk of metal as the barrel so there is no removing it or putting a night sight on it. Same goes for alot of modern revos from s&w, i have yet to see any that have or can be converted to tritium night sights.

leopard1

I really like them, but both sets of my Crimson Trace laser grips malfunctioned within a year of purchase. Sent one set back to the factory. No joy. Others may have had better experiences with them. Big Dot replacement front sight with tritum insert and flashlight work better for me.

bubbygator

Everyone has a point-of-view. No, lasers are not a "replacement" for anything - they are an enhancement. A laser spot just happens to be in the same optical plane as the bad-guy, so there is no worry about aligning front-sight, rear-sight, bad-guy, and wondering what the blurry BG is doing while you're sharply focusing on the front sight, in the middle of the blurry rear sight, in dim light - instead, you just see the bad guy, the laser spot points naturally with your gun. Keep eyes on BG, see spot, decide to fire, pull trigger.

With my BHP, I can put 18 quick shots in 5 inch groups in COM on multiple targets.... shooting from my hip. And I'm not an excellent shot. With the practice I've gotten with my laser, and without my laser, I'm confident of defending myself and my home. I couldn't ask for more. Your mileage may vary.

BobK

Ichiro, well said.

I have a fair amount of range experience with Laser Grips. The advantages of using a laser for home defense far outweigh the disadvantages. Here is a list of "pros". If you think of a pro or con then add it to the list.

1. Keeping the gun on target while you dial 911.
2. Sighting/aiming from cover, akward angle, or from the ground.
3. Much easier to focus on the red dot when just being woke up and groggy.
4. Much faster/accurate follow up shots.
5. Intimidation.
6. Better than night sights in low light.
7. Much faster when engaging multiple targets.

Ichiro

They're just as much of a training tool as they are a defense tool.

I can't think of any other way, other than live-firing, to get feedback on your trigger control from non-standard positions. And live firing, as well know, is expensive and time-consuming. Dry-firing can be done for 15 minutes every day with good effect, and for free.

In addition to trigger control, a laser can help your pointing skill. Point the gun at your dry-fire target the best you can, then activate the laser to see how close you are. With some practice, your pointing should get better.

Take away the laser, and your improved trigger control and pointing skill will still be there.