Revolver

Nightcrawler

My next handgun (hopefully by Christmas) will be a double action revolver of some sort. I'm divided on what to get; I like big bores, and had been considering a .45 Colt Redhawk, becuase in my mind it goes well with my .45 CZ-97. However, .357 wheelguns are less expensive and more plentiful, in addition to having less expensive and more abundant ammunition.

I've only put twelve rounds through a revolver (firing .38) in my life. I liked it (though the grip didn't fit my hand well).

At any rate, the only .45 colt DA gun I've been considering is the Ruger Redhawk 5.5". For .357s, my options are more open: Ruger GP100 and the Taurus Tracker are the top two contestants. The GP is stronger, but the Taurus is more compact, lighter, and holds an extra shot (in my mind, making it a more suitable "service" revolver, perhaps.)

I don't know anybody with either, so I can't really test them. Which do you all think I should get? Redhawk in .45, GP100, or Tracker?

Powderman

I like .45 Colt. But, for versatility, how about something chambered in .45 ACP, like the Smith 625? Keep some full moon clips full, and you have one of the slickest sixguns ever. Faster to recharge than with a speedloader, the moon clip ensures good ejection every time, plus you can use the full spectrum of .45 ACP ammo (except .45 Super or .460 Rowland) in it. Cool stuff!

Nightcrawler

I've thought about it. The ability to use the same cartridge in both guns (not to mention get a Taurus 2" snubby in .45ACP later on) appeals to me (I'm funny that way, I'd rather have a variety of guns in a few cartridges. My dad was a logistician by trade, I guess it rubbed off on me :D ).

However, the used market in my area is...limited. I'm unsure of the situation with Smith & Wesson (and by no means do I want this thread to turn into an argument). I've heard of rising prices, plunging QC, and what, integral locks on their revolvers now? Huh?

(confused) What's the going rate for a Smith 625 4" or 5", stainless?

(There's an old 1917 in bad need of rebluing in a local shop, but I'd prefer a solid, +P loving, modern shooter first.)

CZ_

Give the GP 100 a SERIOUS look. I just love my GPs. They have the most ergonomic factory grip I've tried, and this causes recoil to be practically nothing in .38 special. Even .357 magnums are not painful with a GP 100. Its also very accurate, and I like the ease of disasembly (I can take mine fully apart into the "sub-assemblies" in under a minute), and the push button cylinder release is a lot more convenient than the foward sliding S&W/Taurus release or the pull slide rearward Colt release.

The ONLY negative of most GP 100s is the DA trigger pull. Ruger is paranoid about lawsuits and most GPs they put out have 14 lb plus DA triggers. The DA triggers are fairly smooth though, and they will get better with use.

Guy B. Meredith

That integral lock on the S&W is a non-entity other than it allows us folk in California to get our new purchases home without having to purchase another approved lock or sign affidavits. Taurus integral lock does not appear to meet the standard.

My new M66 with integral lock is a real kick. Nice.

Regarding cylinder release, I think I prefer the forward sliding release for IPSC, IDPA and ICORE. Haven't had experience with the Rugers except at an indoor range so don't know whether that really amounts to much in action competition.

beastman

I am still in love with my stainless GP-100. I fire everything from wimpy .38 target loads to handloaded full power .357 mag loads with no problem. Comfortable to shoot and accurate. My wife even love it. My first handgun and still my favorite (although my Glock 35 is coming up on the outside :) )

chaim

How about a nice used 586. I got one online recently and though I've only shot it once (and dry fired it and fondled it much) it is already my favorite gun. Yes, it even beat out my CZ 75B :eek: . Incredibly accurate .357 and the bluing is beautiful.

Click here to take a look

jar

Please

Before you go any further, go take a close look at that 1917. I think you may just find that the trigger, balance and overall feel is good enough that you will forget all about +P and +P+ ammo.

PS: if that's not your bag please e-mail me with the dealer info.

Nightcrawler

That 1917 is I'm not sure how old. I do like the feel of it, I'd just be scared of damaging it.

The dealer told me it has been "modified" to accept .455 Webley or something as well as .45ACP, so I'd inquire in detail about that before buying.

The shop is actually a Gander Mountain chain store. If that doesn't bother you, I'll get the info, though they're not in the book for some reason...

Powderman

Chaim: Nice looking revolver. There's just something about that SW blue finish that looks just as good as Colt's Royal Blue. I positively LOVE a good high polish blue.

Nightcrawler: Put on the brakes, fella. This is starting to sound like a deal to avoid.

Granted, a 1917 is a great revolver--I'd love to have one myself. But, if this one has been re-cylindered to take .455 Webley, I would avoid it. The Webley is a much different cartridge than the .45 ACP. Thicker rim, larger bullet. You might have headspacing problems with the ACP cartridge. Also, the Webley is .455 in diameter, as opposed to the .451/.452 for the ACP. The bullets would rattle down the bore.

I'd probably look for an unmodified specimen in .45 ACP to acquire.

Nightcrawler

Smith 1917

The Smith & Wesson 1917 in the shop is for sale for $399.99. Cylinder and lockup seem fine, extractor and rod seem fine. I think whomever told me it was converted or anything was wrong, or it's a different gun (that was a long time ago); there seems to be no modifications to the cylinder whatsoever. It seemed to have a larger, more comfortable grip than other 1917s I've seen (wood), and it has a 6.5" barrel.

The bluing is very worn, with patches on the barrel and frame. A refinishing would be in order. I really liked the way the gun fit my hand. That Gander Mountain can be reached at (906) 226-8300 if anyone is still interested.

I asked them to price-check a Smith & Wesson 5" 625, but they computer couldn't find it. *shrug*

Ruger stainless GP-100 4" was $439.99. That was about the only other DA revolver there I was interested in. I'd just go through my local dealer if I had to order anything. Keep in mind, if the prices seem high, they're just high in my area.

Nightcrawler

Though, I'm liking this, too, though it's more expensive than I can afford. It just looks cool, but then, I"m a sucker for unfluted cylinders.

vcomp45acp_large.jpg

Note- to avoid confusion, this one is a gussied-up 629 .44 Mag with removable compensator.

ncben

Nightcrawler,

I got to shoot a friends SW PC 627 8 shot like your photo post however it has a 3" comp bbl.
I shot 110gr, 125gr, & 158gr full hot loads.
The 627 shoots like a mild 38 spec in bull k frame.
Deadly accurate a real shooter.
Is large for 357 (N frame) but then I carried a mod 27 N frame for some years and sorry I sold it.
The 627 would make a great competition revolver as well as a super house gun, with right holster set-up even a carry piece especiall in the woods/ field.

CZ Gunner

Put me down as being on the side of the Ruger GP 100. It's a great gun and it's hard to argue against it's flexibility (.38, .38 P+, .357), straight, reliability and simple beauty! :cool:

Start there, add more revolvers later (of course)! ;)

george miller

i have a 44mag stainless redhawk.i put some pakmeyer grips on it and absolutly love shooting the gun.i like the 44 mag more than the 45 colt because i can get the mags or 44specials anywhere. 45 colt cartriges are becoming more popular with the cowboy action shooting but most places still dont carry them.i had a 45 colt but didnt care for it(vaquero)it just didnt fit my bearsized hands.ive seen good used redhawks,44 mags going for about 400 dollars in the stainless model at shows.i guess i just like the 44 mags ballistics better than the 45 colt.

george miller

they are the presentation grips,nothing fancy,just all rubber.i bought them from a guy that was going out of business for 10 bucks.seems the instructions said they fit colts too as well as the redhawk.i dont know how to post a pic.if youre curious,drop me an email and ill get it with my webcam

Brian Williams

Here is a different twist how about a tracker in 45 colt

I have one and it is a great gun, it is smaller than my 4 in S&W 65 by 1/8 " at the back of the hump. So far the accuracy is excellent and the trigger while stiff is smooth and crisp.

I also recommmend a S&W mod 65 or 13great guns

Nightcrawler

Trackers

I could get a tracker in .45 ACP, too. But I'd like my first DA revolver to be a 6-shot.

The Smith 625 5" is mighty nice. Boy, I wish there were (real) gun shows within 300 miles of where I live. Prices around here are high, when you buy new.

And why can't you use .45 Super level loads in the 625? I can use them in my CZ-97B with a heavy recoil spring. They're 200fps faster than .45ACP+P (with 230gr bullet), but the recoil isn't bad, just stiff.

Attachments

• s&w 625.jpg
    s&w 625.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited: