Revolver wear question

Tim Whittaker

After reading another thread, I got to thinking (scary stuff) On all of my wheelguns, there is a line in the breech face, I wouldn't call it a groove just a metal to metal line, from opening and closing the cylinder. I don't think it's unusual but I just wanted to know if it will ever actually get down to the point that it would need to be replaced? Or does it just get to a point and stop? Thanks for any help......Whit

Walosi

Go to your favorite gun shop, and ask to see the oldest, most-used Smith, Colt or Ruger they have in stock - Open her up, and answer your own question :) This is the "drag mark" made by the end of the spring-loaded cylinder latch. It is very hard and very tough, as is the breech face. The mark becomes polished as the cylinder is opened and closed, and becomes harder still. I have no idea what part of a revolver is the last to wear out, but the breech is surely one of them. The spring-loaded latch, however, can be bent if the closed gun is hit on the cylinder, or sometimes by "Bogarting" the gun closed - snapping your wrist to close the open cylinder ala Humphery Bogart. Good actor. Stupid gun handler. Hollywood. Adds up, don't it:barf:

C.R.Sam

A line is normal. A groove indicates that the cylinder has been opened and closed a LOT. Which is a probable indication that the gun has been fired a LOT. If there is noticible groove in the breech face, there will probably be wear signs in other areas. such as side to side cylinder play. Crane to frame wiggle. Elongated latch hole in breech face. Front latch etc etc. Often; Stainless guns show this wear with a lower round count than blued steel guns.

Sam