Revolver vs. Semi Malfunctions....

Revolver or Semi-Auto Malfunctions

• Yes I have had a revolver malfunction

Votes: 50 54.3%
  • Yes I have had a semi-auto malfunction

Votes: 82 89.1%

• Total voters

cslinger

Everybody who has shot both a revolver and a Semi-Auto, let us know if you have ever had a malfunction with either such as a Jam, binding etc.

Don't count light strikes unless they were consistent and found to be the problem of the gun and not the ammo.

I am of the school of thought that a good quality semi auto should be just about as reliable as a good revolver but I still think the revolvers are more reliable.

I can't think of a time a revolver ever failed on me, other then a round not firing, which was the ammo's fault.

I currently own three semi-autos that have never failed on me, but two are rather low mileage. Every other semi auto I have ever owned has had a malfunction from time to time.

So what is everybody else's experience?

Sleuth

When I was teaching at our Academy, we converted from revolvers (BRT - Big Round Things) to semi-autos. Both type would malfunction. The difference? The shooter could clear a semi-auto in most cases in less than 5 sec. Revolvers required about 15 min. of armorer time.
Statistics from over 5,000 trainees, info from our armorer.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I've had both, although revolver malfunctions were a lot more scarce (usually operator induced, like a heavy unjacketed bullet jumping crimp or a round getting caught under the ejector star).

Correia

I have had plenty of semi malfunctions but no revolver malfunctions. However I have about 1000 times the ammo through my autos than I do through my one revolver.

I've YET to have a malfunction with a revolver that has been anything other than my fault.

That's not the case with semi-autos, though.

Blackhawk

Had both.

However, if a revolver is in "good" shape, I'm of the opinion that it's less likely to malfunction than a semi in "great" shape.

Onslaught

EXCELLENT idea for a poll!

While any mechanical device can break, I do concede that a semi malfunction is more common than a revolver malfunction. BUT, with a good quality semi, tested thouroughly and often, I feel completely confident with my semi's will not fail me.

Last edited:

Dave T

If you didn't answer "Yes" to both you are either not telling the truth or you haven't done enough shooting. All weapons malfunction. All machines eventually fail. Nothing lasts for ever.

Jim V

I have had both revolvers and semi-autos malfunction. Easier to get the S/As back in operation.

The only revolver that I have never had malf is my SAA.

C.R.Sam

Don't count light strikes unless they were consistent and found to be the problem of the gun and not the ammo.
Disagree...
The ammo is an integral part of the system.
Just as are magazines in magazine fed weapons.

Have had failures to fire with both types.

Revolver much faster to clear if the problem is ammo failure to fire.

Sam

Mal H

Staff
Onslaught - It's possible to edit the poll, but I don't think it's necessary. cslinger set it up properly so that you can select one or the other or both. The poll software might burp if you vote without selecting any of the choices, but I'm not sure about that.

cslinger

I do firmly agree that all machines malfunction. I am just trying to get an idea of the frequency of malfunctions between the two. Like I said I really have never seen a revolver malfunction. I have read about them but never actually seen one malfunction.

It also makes perfect sense to me that a revo is much tougher to clear in the event of a failure.

Really I am not trying to start the old wheelgun vs. bottom feeder debate as I love both, and trust my home defense most of the time to a SIG220, which has never malfunctioned.

I just thought that with the revo vs auto for CCW thread this might make for some more food for thought or aid in somebody looking to make the decision between the two.

In my experience revolvers just seem to fail much less frequently then semi-autos. It makes sense as they are simpler machines.

Of course much of this is based on how one cares for their firearms. I take care of all of them and keep them clean and maintained and therefore my failures are few and far between with any of my firearms but they do happen from time to time with my autos.

Since I don't and don't ever plan on abusing my guns or torture testing them I cannot speak from experience on this issue with hard use.

Please don't take this thread as a mine is better than yours thread because it is not.

Preacherman

I've had both, but with revolvers, they were always the result of either faulty ammunition, or because I'd been tuning the revolver and had too light a hammer-strike. With properly tuned revolvers and good ammo, I've never had a problem. With semi-auto's I've had several malfunctions, most caused by ammunition, but a few caused by feeding problems or dirt in the works.

cslinger

Let's try to keep this to factory or well tuned guns....

as I would venture a guess we all have jacked up a perfectly good machine from time to time. I know I have.

Chris

Ben Shepherd

Semis a few times:
1. Faiulure to feed
2. Failure to eject
3. Magazine failure

Revolver:

Exactly once, high primer on one of my own loads.

Onslaught

set it up properly so that you can select one or the other or both.
Sorry, I had no idea one had the option of selecting 2 categories before voting... :eek:

My apologies for butting in. I'll go vote now.

CWL

Only failure (so far) in revolver was bad ammo.

Had every concievable failure with autos, including operator-induced.

RickB

Revolver malfunctions included high primers, and powder grains trapped between the ejector and cylinder, preventing cylinder closure. Both prevented gun from operating as designed. The latter could put someone out of a fight, unless the lighting was good, and you had a way to clean out the fouling.
Semiauto malfunctions have included failure to feed, failure to extract, failure to eject, broken mag release, weak extractor, broken mag spring, etc., etc. I still have absolutely no doubt that if/when TSHTF, I want one of my autos in hand.

Sleuth

Note, all failures in my previous post were with reasonably well maintained to brand new handguns, and factory JHP ammo. We did not count ammo caused failures.