revolver suggestions

meat

revovlver suggestions

I know that this has probably been posted to death and the question asked countless times, but here it goes anyway. It seems like most of the revolvers manufactured in the present simply don't live up to the heritage of the past (at least that's according to some threads here). This seems especially true of Ruger and S&W. This really disappoints me :( . I have been wanting to purchase a small 5 or 6 shot .357 magnum and really had my eyes on a Ruger SP101 until all these ruger quality control issues came to life. So what's a shooter to do? I went to the last local gun show and most of the used, older revolvers were larger 4" - 6" type. However, everytime I go to the gun shop there are all the snubbies, staring me in the face (especially those darn lightweight ones ;) ) . So should I risk the quality control issues and get a new ruger SP101? I'd consider a smith and wesson, but my local gunsmith told me that the internal parts used in the new S&W revolvers just aren't up to par w/ the older ones (which he swears by and LOVES). He swears that I'll definitely have a parts breakage after shooting 3,000 rounds (and I thought revolvers were supppose to be tough?). So what should I do? The clock is ticking here, because I live in Maryland and any gun that doesn't have an internal lock can't be sold here next year (limiting my choices to S&W and Taurus :mad: ). Thanks in advance for all the suggestions and replies.

Frenchy

What about a nice older Model 60 (J-Frame), or a Model 65 (K-Frame) or a 686 (L-Frame)? Look for a mid-80's to mid-90's model.
Workmanship on both the older Ruger & Smith is good (IMO).

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All,

Definitely some good suggestions from Frenchy!:cool: :D
Just to add one more, take a look at Ruger's Security-Six,
Service-Six, and Speed-Six model's. Most of these are
very affordable; at attractive prices.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

PKAY

I just bought a used SP101 from a FFL in AK last month on GunsAmerica for $285. It is absolutely beautiful and shoots well. I think the Ruger is built like a tank. Check out GA or GunBroker.com

k5blazer

It is unfortunate that from the posts here that one gets the idea that all new Rugers or S&Ws will have quality control problems. I have had some problems with a couple new Rugers but have also bought some new revolvers that were excellent. Nothing wrong with the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk.

A friend bought a new SP101 over the internet and it is a great gun! Sure it has a stiff Ruger trigger but in time it will smooth out. I bought my SP101 used. The lady who originally bought it thought it was too fierce a recoil. It only had 15 rounds through it. SP101's are great firearms. Goto your favorite gun store and check one out. Use the info provided on this forum on how to check out a revolver.

Can't speak for S&W since I have not bought one in many years.

pinetree

The SP101 is a tank. I bought a Taurus UL-M85 for concealed carry. I really like the new bobbed hammer offering. It is a good little gun. Granted I don't shoot it as much as my S&W 629(1996) or my Kimber, but it is light handy and easy wearing. I rented a snubby in .357 before buying it and after a box of full power loads figured I'd do fine with a 38spcl.

I hate to hear about the problems with S&W. After readying a few articles in Am Rifleman and Shooting Times, I din't have a problem buying from them.

tjg

C.R.Sam

After reading the rear kissing by editor Mark Keefe in the October issue of the American Rifleman...
I am more than a little upset.
Mr Keefe says "...the HUD agreement was abandoned by the Bush Administration..."

Unless it is rendered void, It could come back to bite us all hard. Possibly as soon as the next elections.

No; untill the management of S&W can show that the agreement has been legaly rendered void I will not welcome them back.

Sam

Will Batayte

I bought a used SP101 and I have had no problems. It is the gun I carry most. I alternate between the SP101 and my HK depending on what I wear. The ruger is a dream to carry. I use a $20 Desantis cheapo nylon holster positioned at around 1:00. I can sit, stand, drive, or run without having to adjust, it never even prints. Find a used one for a good price and buy it!

Poohgyrr

Smith is fine

I have a 640-1 that is unbelieveably accurate, and this is with magnums.

I had another, and unfortunately sold it in a moment of foggy headedness.

I really like the older, blued models, but wouldn't hesitate to buy one of the "newer" redesigned models.
:cool: :D :cool:

cslinger

I see this all the time on car forums as well...

remember that people tend to be more likely to post a negative reaction then a positive one simply because when you are completely happy with your product you are too busy using it and have no questions to ask.

I currently own two smiths and six Ruger products. The only problem with any of them is my 10/22 likes hot ammo and will sometimes FTE on anything lighter than mini-mags. I have seen many 10/22s with this problem and know how to fix this, just haven't gotten around to it.

So in my experience all the products I have have been excellent and have more than lived up to expectations.

The fit and finish on my Smiths is excellent, as is my Ruger Mark 2 Government Competition.

About the only bad I can say about any of them is my Ruger P97 is loose after a few thousand rounds. It is not tight like my SIGs, but it still never misses a beat and is plenty accurate, so what more can you ask.

I think that your chances of getting a good product from either Smith or Ruger far outweigh your chances of getting a bad one.

Good luck.
Chris

braindead0

I'd just like to say that.. I picked up a new GP-100 full underlug 4" SS a few weeks ago, and It's perfect.

Of course, I brought in feeler guages to check the cylinder gap, had a bright penlight to inspect alignment and went through all the things you go through when checking out a used revolver.

It was on sale to boot, perhaps the QC problems have drug the market down....lucky for me ;-)!

Eric Larsen

I cant say anything about the rumor mill and new gun problems. All of the SP's, new and old, Ive played with or shot or owned have been perfect. The Smiths have better out of the box triggers. My J frame had a nice trigger..smooth and stacked just a tad. Im sure there are bad/problem snubs out there. I just dont know anyone whos had any of them.
Look at the SP's..I highly doubt youll regret it.
Shoot well

dewey

D I T T O what Frenchy said

Nice/tight J frame Smiths are a delight. Their light weight make .357s a tad tough but you'll prolly shoot mostly .38SPLs anywho. Have FUN ! dewey

Cee-Zed

I live in SW Indiana, and a bunch of stainless S&W Model 64s have turned up recently in Northern and Central Kentucky. They are all around $200 (which is considerably under Blue Book value). They must be police trade-ins, but I can't imagine how they all look so good (most have one minor problem). Maybe they got these and immediately switched to something else? It could just be a coincidence. Revolvers turn up in droves around here as hunting season draws closer.

At any rate, my father had always wanted one and got one. He found one that was perfect, except for the grips (mangled around the screw, bet no one's seen THAT before, sigh). Just a great wheelie. These are everything I would ever want in a medium .38 revolver. I can't say a single bad thing about them, points and balances well, good trigger, looks sharp, etc. I was a little surprised that it prefers 158gr bullets, but that does make sense. I am going to try to find one for myself now. I'll shoot it on days when I don't want to hunt for brass. :cool:

He turned 55 this week, so I got him the Hogue for his birthday. I was laughing hard when I looked the Model 64 up in "The Encyclopedia of Pistols and Revolvers." It depicts this with the Hogue (or something REALLY similar).

P.S. meat, I know you said you wanted something smaller in .357, but I would really recommend these. Great all-around revolver.

jar

Some other great choices would be an older Colt Trooper, Official Police or Police Positive. The S&W M-10, M-14, M-27, M-28 & M-25 would be great choices as well.