Revolver shooting help

actionflies

I just bought a S&W 686 6" barrel and have shot it twice using my 357 magnum reload (158gr LSWC on Clays 3.4gr. and Titegroup 3.8gr.) and all my shot are hitting left of the target. I know the gun weigh more than my 1911 and grip is different, so give me some pointer for shooting a revolver and maybe my reload is too light.

azredhawk44

Where is your trigger finger?

Are you pushing the gun sideways as you pull the trigger? Dry fire practice and see if that's the case. Put the pad of your trigger finger on the flat of the trigger and be sure to pull straight back into your palm.

s4s4u

If you are shooting it DA it may take some practice with the long trigger pull. As said, end pad of finger and straight back. Try shooting SA and see if still off in the same place.

MrBorland

Don't be afraid to experiment with finger placement: The "pad of the finger on the trigger" isn't a hard and fast rule. Many revolver shooters place the trigger at or just behind the 1st joint, which can make the "pull" easier, and consequently steadier. If you're using your pad, you may be straining and pushing or shaking the gun a bit.

That being said, you may simply need to adjust the rear sight.

Last edited:

timothy75

If you want to keep that load adjust the sights but in my experience light for caliber loads also hit left. I think it has to do with recoil, make a couple warm loads on the next batch and see if they hit right by comparison.

Slopemeno

I'd do 20 minutes of DA dry-fire practice every night. I'd also go back to shooting .38 spl ammo for a while to make sure you have the fundamentals down, then go back to the .357's.