Revolver Reloads: Source for Leather Cartridge Belt Slides ?

Pointshoot

Hi guys - - - I often carry a revolver and would like to find a good source for leather belt slides to carry cartridges (.38, .44, .45). I prefer black leather. The only belt slides I've found are too bulky & wide, and would be too loose on my 1 1/2" wide belt. Or, are from custom makers who charge quite abit and take pretty long to deliver.

The old Uncle Mikes belt slides with no flap were nice and minimal in bulk - - but they were made from nylon and not as secure as leather. Your suggestions for an off-the-shelf product would be appreciated. Thanks

Technosavant

Simply Rugged makes some decent ones. They have the Most Versatile Ammo Pouch if you want to keep them hidden (meant for use with speed strips, which they also sell). They also make some of the more western-style "out there before everybody" types.

Pointshoot

Thanks. I own three Simply Rugged holsters and like their stuff.

I often wear as many as two belt slides - - with various revolvers chambered in .38, .44, and .45. At $30 each, that can get expensive. I'm hoping that a production manufacturer might have something off-the-shelf for a little less money & available now. Havent found anything like this yet.

drail

Be aware that you do not want to store any cartridges in leather loops for very long. Some types of leather are tanned with chromic acids and it will attack the brass in time. If you see any green verdgris starting to form on the brass cases then it is attacking the cases. If you're just using a leather cartrdige carrier while on the range or at a match you'll be fine but remove the cartridges when you get home. Leather carriers are the main reason nickle plated brass was created in the old days when police officers carried extra rounds on their duty belt.

Pointshoot

drail - - yes that happened to me years back. I found a used leather Western style belt/holster rig for real cheap - - $10 - - at a gunshow. Left brass cased 45 Colt cartridges in the loops and over time (don't recall how long) they turned the leather loops green. Lesson learned.

Woulda been a real pain if it had been an expensive rig.

I'm doing some more checking around guys, and I may end up going with one of the custom leather makers I've used in the past for these belt cartridge slides.

One of these days I'll have to get around to learning to work with leather. It would be handy for making knife sheaths, these slides, and various outdoor gear.

Webleymkv

El Paso Saddlery makes very nice holsters and accoutrements and offers both six and twelve round cartridge slides as well as their 2-6 pick box if you prefer the cartridges to be completely covered. Also, their offerings are available in both russet brown and black and are made to order for a belt width specified by the customer (1 1/4-3" in 1/4" increments).

They are not, however, inexpensive ($38-52 depending on what you get) and are made to order, so getting it might take a while.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-118-60-6-round-pistol-slide.aspx

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-119-60-12-round-pistol-slide.aspx

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-127-60-2-6-pick-box.aspx

Pointshoot

Thanks Webleymkv - - I've looked at El Paso's website in the past, but never ordered their stuff. Looks like they do wonderful work. I appreciate the links you provided. Regards, - -

Bob Wright

This little cartridge holder holds six cartridges in three pairs and is very unobtrusive. Its from Galco, for .44 Special:
100_0161.jpg

And .357 Magnum:

100_0160.jpg

Works for me:

101_0022.jpg

Bob Wright

Pointshoot

Hmmm - - Bob, that Galco looks pretty nice.
I'll have to check that out - - thank you

Rob

P.S. - - is your single action in a Mernickle holster ? (I have several of them)

drail

Mr. Wright, I am curious about that cartridge pouch. Have you ever had that snapped flap snag on anything and open up? Is that a "dump pouch" or do you pluck rounds out from the top?

Bob Wright

Mr. Wright, I am curious about that cartridge pouch. Have you ever had that snapped flap snag on anything and open up? Is that a "dump pouch" or do you pluck rounds out from the top?

No, the snap is pretty well secured. Cartridges are held in pairs not quite as snug as loops. When the flap is opened, the bottom tilts forward slightly and I withdraw them in pairs.

Bob Wright