revolver recommendations anyone??

Sea Bass

Hi everybody. I'm thinking about picking up
a .357 revolver. I want to also shot .38 too. Was thinking about S&W but in light of recent news with them not too sure. Thanks in advance.

denfoote

Buy Ruger(1st choice) or Taurus. Both make fine .357 MAG revolvers. :)

------------------
BOYCOTT SMITH AND WESSON!!!!!
The only justice for a traitor is at the end of a rope!!!!
Off my meds (quit smoking), armed to the teeth, and loose on an unsuspecting society!!!

Ranger Chris

Hi Sea Bass! S&W is doing what they are already doing! My last couple of S&W had gun locks in the box. If "Big Bill" wants to think they have "caved", that is okay with me. I like the S&W 66 in .357 Mag. Ruger is okay too. Ranger Chris

Gremlin

If double-action trigger pull is the way you measure your revolvers, there's none smoother than the S&W 686.

If, however, you are interested in purchasing an accurate, well built, rugged, great feeling, good looking gun that costs $400 or less, then look no further than the Ruger GP-100 in a 4" stainless fully lugged barrel. When shooting .38's, there is NO recoil. When shooting .357's, the re-coil is just enough to let you know you're shooting high performance ammo.

And, in my humble opinion, after several hundred rounds with both the S&W and the Ruger, the GP-100's single action trigger is a little crisper than the Smith. I generally shoot single action when I'm at the range, anyway, so the Ruger wins hands down in my book. And you'll save a hundred bucks...

Just my two cents...

------------------
Triggers exist to be pulled... again and again.

jthuang

Remember, Ruger sold us out prior to the 1994 Crime Bill. If you are avoiding S&W, you should also avoid Ruger. You'll also want to avoid Colt because of their smart gun kinderspiel, transitional AR models and announced intent to halt civilian handgun sales if the HK acquisition closes.

I am a big fan of S&W revolvers, but I am boycotting them (in addition to the aforementioned companies). I'd look for a used S&W 686 or 686 Plus -- my buddy Keith has the 686 Plus and it's a sweet gun.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Ben

If you want to carry it concealed, Ruger SP-101 or Taurus 605.

Otherwise, just get a Ruger GP-100.
Ben

------------------
Almost Online IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"
Bumpe R. Sticker

Sea Bass

What the fair market price these days for a used S&W 66 or 686? Might also look into the
ruger also. Thanks all :)

Grayfox

I'm a S&W man myself. Nothing better than a S&W revolver. But, a Ruger, Colt or Taurus would probably be fine. Pick whichever one you like best.
However, I'd be buying a USED gun. That way the sell-outs don't make a penny on it!

------------------
Politically, Fashionably and Aerodynamically Incorrect!

Ruger GP100. Very low maintenance compared to other revolvers. And being a cheapskate (frugal is a more respectable word, but cheapskate suits me fine), I'll buy a used one because I can always service it myself.

jthuang

Going price for a NIB S&W 686 or 686 Plus in central Pennsylvania is $380-400. A used gun should be less than that. :)

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

riddleofsteel

see if you acn find a Speed Six Ruger 2 3/4" barrel or a Service Six Ruger 4" barrel used. a police supply is a good place to start. i just picked up a Ruger Speed Six 2 3/4" new in the box from Cherry's Fine Guns in Greensboro N.C. for $250.00. part of an estate collection they are selling. gun has never been fired. they have got one more i think.

------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Let he that hath no sword sell his garment and buy one. Luke 22-36
They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night. Song of Solomon 3-8
The man that can keep his head and aims carefully when the situation has gone bad and lead is flying usually wins the fight.