Revolver maintanence

croyance

I have just bought a revolver and am waiting out my Federal 'cooling off' period.
What specific parts need to be oiled after a good cleaning? Do I have to take anything apart for regular cleaning?

And since the 125 grain .357 magnums are said to be bad in the K-frame S&Ws, is it better to go with the 158 grain hollowpoints for home defence rounds?

Webleymkv

I clean the bore and each chamber of my revolver as well as the area behind the cylinder. I wipe all metal surfaces of the gun with an oily cloth. As far as HD ammo goes it really depends on what type of house you live in. Much as I like it, that 158grn fodder is pretty penatrative. This may be a problem if you live in a new house with thin walls like I do. I load my .357 with Remington 125grn SJHP and my dad takes it a step further and uses Winchester 110grn SJHP in his. 125grn stuff is okay in a K-Frame as long as it's in moderation. As long as you don't go out and practice with the hot stuff every day, your Smith will be fine.

10-96

S&W factory advises against powerhouse 125's- so must I. The 110gr personal defense, frangible, or 158 SJHP is all I even consider putting in my 19 or 13.

JCM298

Go to this site:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/cleaning.htm

About 3/4's of the way down, there's some good info on cleaning a revolver.

In the "beast", my 340SC, I carry 130 gr Federal Hydra Shok. In my other .357's, I use Federal or Winchester 158 gr. I use 148 gr Silvertips in my PC Model 66 as it gives the best accuracy and lowest blast from that particular gun,

John

croyance

Thank-you for your responces.
The Silvertips sounds good. The semi-auto ammo versions have a good reputation.

41special

croyance,

To echo Webley's remarks:

On a new gun, even a k/l frame I would'nt worry too much about hurting it with a FEW hot .357 loads.

The gun can take it, just not a steady diet of them. Shoot enough of what your going to carry in it to become familiar with the ammo.

Practice with light loads.

Some here may not agree, but that's my $0.02

Thirties

"I have just bought a revolver and am waiting out my Federal 'cooling off' period."

Croyance, pardon my ignorance, but what Federal cooling off period are you refering to? I have never heard of such a thing here in Maine. Here you go to the gun shop, fill out the federal spot check form, they fax it in, and within a few minutes you pay for and take home your gun.

Maybe your state has its own rules, but I don't know of any federal waiting period. Anyone else here ever heard of a federal cooling off or waiting period?

10-96

Thirties,
Sorta... I call that the time between paychecks and my next trip to a gunshow or shop. (sorry- couldn't resist):D

croyance

Thirties, in Wisconsin there is a 48 hour waiting period. The background check itself takes minutes.
I believe the Feds had said a while ago that if there was not already a system in place, that a five day waiting period should be put in place.
I used to live in Georgia, where if you already had a CHL, you could leave with your purchase after the background check was done.

James K

Member In Memoriam
In MD, there is a 7 day waiting period for handgun purchase, while the state police check out the buyer. This is superfluous now, but the law is not likely to be changed and every time a change is suggested, the state police bureaucracy predicts dire results, dead bodies littering the streets and the like, if they are not allowed to do what the feds also do. The state police run their own check, then run the federal check. (MD also has its own MG registration. They seem to want to duplicate every federal law just to provide more police work.)

So there is a "waiting period" but it is state, not federal.

Jim

cje1980

And since the 125 grain .357 magnums are said to be bad in the K-frame S&Ws, is it better to go with the 158 grain hollowpoints for home defence rounds?

I don't quite understand what you are asking. From my experience the 125gr. loads have more blast(flames), while the 158gr. loads have almost no blast or flash but more recoil. In some guns I have found the 158gr. loads to have significantly more felt recoil. Both will loosen up a K-Frame over time with extended use.

Thirties

"Thirties, in Wisconsin there is a 48 hour waiting period. The background check itself takes minutes. I believe the Feds had said a while ago that if there was not already a system in place, that a five day waiting period should be put in place. I used to live in Georgia, where if you already had a CHL, you could leave with your purchase after the background check was done.'

I don't have any CCW permit. There is no waiting period here. All you need it your driver's licesnce. I believe it is that way in most states. Am I missing something?

PythonGuy

What you are missing is a thing called gun control in that some states have their own laws to control gun sales. You would think this should just be a federal matter, but some states require licenses that take up to 6 months to get, as in where I live, New York. And in a totally insane situation, in San Francisco where every type of sexual perversion is OK, they are trying to ban handguns altogether, taking away already owned guns!!! Do a google search on San Fran handgun ban and be prepared to get sick. Then go join the NRA while there is still such an organization to protect our rights to keep and bear arms. In 50 years or less we will be like communist countries in the banning of citizens from gun ownership. Whats next, book burnings? prison camps for non-conformists. I'm not the paranoid type but in my lifetime I can see so many rights eroding away under both democrats and republicans, we'll be like red china soon.:(