Revolver for CCW

AA

My birthday is coming up, and the wife wants to know what handgun she should buy me.
I am leaning to get a wheel gun to go with my Glock 27 on my CCW. Presently I have a nice S&W M38 on the CCW, but the S.O. wants double action firing only next year, no single action. Target size is being reduced too.
I qualify "expert" w/ military, but that's with the Beretta 92. And, I don't think I can q with the M38 in double action.
I do not carry often or all day, so a few extra ounces is not a problem. Also, I believe I would need adj rear sights and a VERY SMOOTH double action trigger -- and I prefer blue for CCW. And, I would like a gun for which there is a front pocket holster, my preferred location for carry.
At this point, I am considering a S&W M19.
Anything else to consider? Thanks,
Alan
Considering the above, I am considering

Hard Ball

You might consider one of the "hammerles" Smith@Wesson revolvers in .357 Magnum. .38 Special, or 9mm. They meet the DAO crtieria, and work perfectly from a good pocket holder. I am afraid that you may finnd a Model 19 to be too big to work well from a pocket carry.

Jeff OTMG

That is some tough criteria! You must be a pretty big fella because I couldn't get a S&W mod 19 out of my front pocket without using both hands. Going in would be difficult, but coming out would be next to impossible. Any competent gunsmith could convert the mod 38 to DAO, but that sort of defeats the purpose of being able to get to the hammer on a Bodyguard. I question the need for adjustable sights on a pocket carry gun. The FBI had many agents who shot 'possibles' with a 4" tapered barrel S&W mod 10 and later with the 3" mod 13. That included 60 yard shots. The short sight radius is a handicap but the gun can still be shot accurately. The short barrel .38 j-frames (1 7/8") can tumble wadcutters at 50 yards, but the new longer frame/barrel versions in .357 may have corrected that. I would suggest finding a S&W 940. You get the heavier barrel, the gun is stainless, it is a Centennial so is DAO, the 115gr Corbon is moving out faster from a 940 than just about any .357 out of a 3" K-frame. You like a dark gun so have it done in a black MoS2 coating

AA

Jeff:
The M19 I would be considering would be with the 2.5 inch barrel only. I do have a M66 in 3" barrel, stainless, that I was carrying in the pocket today loaded with snake shot on my property looking for that 5 foot W. Diamondback that was waiting for me to take one more step the other day. I digress, and I agree the J frames do fit better in the pocket.
We can have single/dbl action revolvers, but, in qualification, they will have to be fired only in double action mode.
I was hoping to come up with a six shot, 2 inch barrel, sm/med frame, with adj rear sight (most have simple ramp sights).
I'm avg size, but do not wear jeans anymore.
AA

Siggy

I love my semi's, however, a wheel gun never (almost) fails. Look into the Taurus I love the new 33's and Ti's. If DAO is a problem, practice is the cure. I carry my Sig 2340 in .357sig as primary and the Taurus in .357 mag as backup. YES I'm a big MF so it makes it fairly easy. to carry the sig and the taurus. In summation, if I had a choice I'd carry that 7 shot wheel gun with a couple of S'loaders to be sure. It only takes 1 (maybe 2) hot .357mag rounds to drop even a BMF like me. Siggy

denfoote

Don't forget the Ruger GP-100 series, or the SP-101.

------------------

Yeah, I got a permit to carry,it's called the friggin Constitution.---Ted Nugent

"Glock 26: 17 rounds of concealed carry DEATH comming your way from out of nowhere!!! THAT'S FIREPOWER, BABY!!!"

sks

Give the Taurus Titanium a look. I carry the Total Ti in .45LC. Not very heavy at all.

I'm going to get a gunsmith to bob the hammer for me. Almost did it myself but have heard too many stories about dremmel tools and ruined guns. :)

Used to own the GP100 stainless and it was a fine weapon. Sold it to get a G19.

------------------
The best weapon for self defense is the one you have when the need arises!

rms/pa

hmmm adjustable rear sights AND be a front pocket gun, tough one to find there, my carry gun is currently a colt "bankers special " in 38S&W, it is a bit too horny and clunky for front pocket carry plus 38S&W is on the low side for self defence.
i am currently getting a taurus 85 hammerless(not really just spurless) in 38 spl. stainles steel (weight is not a consideration to me)
with a pocket holster to keep the dust bunnies out of the action and break up the outline it will meet my needs well.

i see no need for sights of any kind as i will not be shooting it at anything further away than a car lenghth and at that range who uses sights?

rms/pa
just my uninformed opinion.

AA

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to find a gun to fit a unique situation -- I was perfectly happy with the M38 airweight: easy to carry and with the notched hammer easy to qualify with firing single action.
Yes, I think practice is the cure for firing accurately dbl action.
It is difficult to consider Taurus from my experience with them 8 years ago - bought a 22 mag trail gun that I gave to the gun shop. But will check out that titanium line -- saw a few at a gun show, but did not like that futuristic blue hue of titanium.
I just checked out Dan Wesson's www site, and they profess to make an outstanding revolver, so will check out the Dan W. 15 VH2.5. They're close to $500, but my wife has a good job.
Anything to say about the Dan Wesson line?? -- they advertise smooth dbl action trigger and sturdy construction. Sounds ideal!??
Alan

Jeff OTMG

The S&W mod 15 was made in a 2" barrel. It is blue, 6 shot, adj sights, and .38 spec., though I don't think it is much smaller than the mod 19 you now have. There was also a 547, but it was 3" and fixed sights. S&W did make some mod 60's with adj sights back in the mid-80's, but those are hard to find now, Ashland Sports was the distributor and they are stainless so you would have to go with the MoS2 coating again.

Siggy

Taurus has greatly improved. I bought one about 10 years ago and use it as a hammer. The .357 mag (33) I have now has a LIFETIME GUARANTEE!!! It also has the hammerlock system, you can fire .38 spl for practice, 7 round cap. It shoots on a dime up to about 30 yds. the strays a touch but would be a very effective carry/defense weapon.

AA

Siggy:

Thanks, I'll check out the Taurus 357 line -- I called Dan Wesson's retailers and DW back east, and was told that their revolvers sell as fast as they are manufactured -- hard to check one out when business is so good!
Question! You 2x mentioned Taurus "33" in 7 shot 357. Taurus's web site (very sophisticated) lists 7 shot 357 called a "617" in steel and "617T" in titanium in their compact line, and M66 7 shot in medium frame. Could not find a "33"!!!!!!!!!!Web site lists the 2000 models. What do you have???
I think I'll give up on the adj rear sight, and just PRACTICE to improve.

Benny

I have not heard of a "model 33" either. A good revolver you should consider would be a Colt Detective Special, 38 caliber. Taurus does have the advantage of 7 round, 2" , 357 magnum in their 617!