Revolver bug bites again!

Recommended Revolver

• Used S&W 19/66

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • Larger option (686, GP100, etc.)

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Option in .38 only (please comment with suggestions)

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other (please comment with suggestions)

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Contrast Man

Last time I went to the range, I decided on a whim to buy a few boxes of .38 and rent a revolver (normally shoot semi's). After going through a few (S&W 686, GP100, and S&W 66), I was amazing with how much I enjoyed the 66. The others were nice, just a bit large for me. That night, I did some very brief research on the 66 and to my surprise, it hasn't been made since 2005!

I would love to own one, but being essentially brand new to revolvers, I'm a bit hesitant about browsing the used market but not completely ruling it out. I'm curious if that there are any new revolvers of any make that would have that comparable to the 66.

Also, this would just be a range gun, possibly competition but all I know in that area is that there's an interest, haven't put any effort towards it yet. Back on topic, I don't think I would be firing much .357 mag out of it, less than 5% at most. Would it be worth it to look at something in just .38 and completely omit the .357 option or to search for a used 19/66?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your advice!!

Ashlander

Hey: If you like the 66, get a 66. There were thousands and thousands made over the years, so there are plenty out there. S&W and just about any gunsmith around who knows revolvers could service it. And the prices are far less than any comparable new gun (686).

I have a 2 1/2" 66-7, a 3" 65, a 4" 65 -- all cop/security trade-ins. Also have a new 3" GP100 -- as you said, a little heavier -- but perfect for the full magnum loads.

overkill0084

I'd recommend the Used 19/66 option. Good examples are common and decently priced. Keep in mind, your other options aren't going anywhere.
Worth noting however, the L- frame (X86) smiths are pretty common on the used market, and they are a better choice if you decide you enjoy full steam .357 loads at some point. Ditto: the Rugers.

Contrast Man

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to search for a 19/66, haven't made up my mind about blued vs stainless.

Would anyone be able to give me a general idea of the price ranges I could expect to pay for one in good condition?

Olympus

I own several Model 66s and they hold a special place in my heart. As your taste in revos evolves, you'll see that S&W revolvers are known for better quality and higher craftsmanship the older they go. Model numbers will have a dash and a number, such as 66-1, 66-2, 66-3, etc. With every dash change, there was something changed about the gun. This was usually done as a cost saving measure. They cut a lot of the features as they went along. So in terms of collectibility, the lower number after the dash, the better. With the ultimate version being the very first which did not have a dash at all. These are referred to as "no-dash" models. Also important to consider are models that are "pinned and recessed". That means they have pinned barrels and recessed cylinders. These will also be more collectible and will have a higher value. Price for a good 19/66 will range from $450 to $750 depending on multiple factors.

That being said, here are two of my no-dash Model 66s:

PA300053.jpg

PA300052.jpg

jal5

Olympus very nice examples of the no dash M66, they made me drool!

I have a no dash 6" M66, and although I shoot mainly 38 spl in it, I do shoot 357s but make sure to keep the ammo 158 gr or better and all are my reloads. Its a great gun and I am keeping my eye out for a nice snubby to complement it. These guns are available, I think I paid $475 IIRC 3 yrs. ago for one that was just about new, hardly used.

Joe

dgludwig

Does anyone know if S&W ever made a Model 66 or Model 19 with a 3" barrel (not the 2 1/2" one) or a 3" barreled Model 65 or Model 13 with adjustable sights? The configuration I would really like is a Model 19/66 with the Model 13/65 heavy barrel (especially the fully lugged Lady Smith variant)-and I'm pretty sure this "dream" (for me, at least) revolver was never made. Pinch me if it ever was. :D

aarondhgraham

Would it be worth it to look at something in just .38 and completely omit the .357 option or to search for a used 19/66?

Not sure what you mean by "worth it",,,
But I would urge you to not rule out the Models 15 & 67.

The Model 15 is the blued version,,,
The Model 67 is the stainless steel version,,,
Both guns are chambered for the .38 special cartridge.

In shape and size they are identical to the 19/66,,,
You might be able to find them a bit cheaper,,,
All 4 guns are the medium K-frame size.

Personally I do not enjoy .357 out of a K-frame,,,
But .38 Special rounds are like driving a good luxury car,,,
You can certainly "feel the road" but the ride is always smooth as silk.

Here are my two revolvers.

This is Stella, my Model 15,,,
12-stella.JPG

This is Morgana, my Model 67,,,
36-morgana2.jpg

Someday you'll also want the Model 18 in .22 LR,,,
This is Didi, my Model 18,,,
13-didi.JPG

The K-frame madness is never-ending. ;)

Aarond

Olympus

Does anyone know if S&W ever made a Model 66 or Model 19 with a 3" barrel (not the 2 1/2" one) or a 3" barreled Model 65 or Model 13 with adjustable sights? The configuration I would really like is a Model 19/66 with the Model 13/65 heavy barrel (especially the fully lugged Lady Smith variant)-and I'm pretty sure this "dream" (for me, at least) revolver was never made. Pinch me if it ever was. :D

They made a 3" 66. Those were only made for a short time and bring a high price.

dgludwig

Thanks Olympus for the feedback. I guess I'm not so interested as to pay a "high price" for some rare collectable.

mashaffer

I am in the minority here (used to that). I selected .38spl option. You said a range gun and maybe competition but no large game hunting. No need for the magnum in that profile so I would be looking for a good clean adjustable sight pre-lock K frame in .38 special with a 4" or 5" barrel. Accuracy tends to be very good n these and if properly cared for are very durable yet good trigger action.

JMHO.

mike

Contrast Man

Not sure what you mean by "worth it",,,
But I would urge you to not rule out the Models 15 & 67.

I think Mike(mashaffer) did a good job summing up what I meant there. Shooting magnum rounds would be a novelty for me at best. Sure, the option is nice to do so, but I don't see myself really venturing that direction much at all.

I went back recently and re-rented that 66 and put a few magnum rounds through it and I can't say it was exactly pleasurable. Much better feeling out of the 686 and GP100.

hermannr

I really like my 1926 first issue Colt Officers Model in 38. Nice adjustable sights, accurate, good balance, lots of fun.

gak

Regarding the 3" 65/66, they're the gems of the whole bunch and worth being patient for IMO. I've got the 65 Lady Smith--early hammer-pinned model in my case--and think the LS is the best of all K's: unique combo of fixed sight 3", full lug, satin stainless. The LS 65s are getting more precious by the day. +1 the 66 3-inchers are also getting scarce...but again worth the wait/search.

Buckeye!

I like Ruger "Six series " Police , Security ,and Speed....and if its a Single action a Ruger is the best choice...all above mentioned in 357 Mag...:D