Revisited topic...

odugrad

I know this dead horse has been beaten repeatedly. But...here goes...

I'm getting a new firearm this weekend and it's between the Glock 19 and Walther PPQ. I've fired both and am leaning toward the Walther. I know the G19 is going to have more aftermarket accessories and magazines are less expensive. The Walther felt better and I like the trigger better. This is going to be used for home defense/EDC.

So...based on your experiences, can you provide me any reason why I should go Glock over Walther? Is there some obvious, glaring reason to choose over the other?

Spats McGee

Administrator
My usual caveat: I have no experience with the PPQ. I do have experience with the G19.

I suspect that the G19 will have slightly better aftermarket support. Right, wrong, or indifferent, if someone makes a widget, they make a widget for Glocks.

That said, I ran through some of the holster makers that I have bookmarked, and it looks like most, if not all, of the ones I have bookmarked make holsters for the PPQ. I don't recall reading bunches of stories about defective or underperforming PPQs (or any significant number, actually), so I'll guess that they run just fine.

If you like the PPQ, get the PPQ.

Lohman446

Shoot whatever you want. No gun is for everyone.

However every year or couple years you here that gun X is going to knock off Glock as the "big dog" in polymer pistols. Then later its gun Y. Then gun Z. Through it all Glock seems to hold its spot as the benchmark against which others judge themselves.

There is a reason the benchmark is the benchmark and has held that spot for a long time. Does it make it the right choice for you? I have no idea. It is worth considering.

I'm with Spats McGee on this one.

I had a PPQ and have a Glock 19 now.

Wasn't wow'd at the PPQ. I purchased it when it first came out and didn't understand all the hype. So I gave it to one of my best friends who's a lefty.

My desire to be different has subsided. Now I've been carrying Glock exclusively. The back-up guns are what I mix up every now and then.

PPQ is a great gun. The aftermarket following of Glock and their ease to detail strip and work on keep me with them.

odugrad

One thing I should add, I'm looking to keep everything stock so I won't be dropping in a new trigger or sights or anything. The only thing I'll stock up on immediately is magazines. I'll probably end up with both over time but for some reason I'm having a tough time deciding between the two.

mrdaputer

You answered your own question.

PHP:
 The Walther felt better and I like the trigger better.

It has been said over and over what feels the best and shoots the best to you is the one you take home ;)

BigJimP

Your answer is what fits your hands better..what you like better..and what you shoot best...

so get the PPQ...forget the Glock..

Unless you have an agency mandate for a particular firearm, or are heavily invested in Glock (mags, parts, accessories, holsters...), who gives a crap.

Get what you want.

TunnelRat

While I will say that for me feel in hand hasn't always translated to best shooting and I find complaints about Glock triggers a bit overdone, what works best for you can only be answered by you. Sometimes aftermarket support is a big help though. For instance, does anyone make a straight eight sight setup for the PPQ? I'm legitimately curious because I've come to favor this setup and can't find it on all pistols. But again, it only matters if the added support is something you'll benefit from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odugrad

One thing I noticed about the PPQ is that they have plastic guide rods. Does anyone know if this is an issue?

gunnre

I really like my P30, PPQ has a much nicer trigger. My only experience with the Glock was swapping back and forth with the Walther with a buddy at the range. It was a good experience for me for I learned that I am one of those that don't warm up to Glocks. Doesn't feel good in my hand, felt I had to tweak my wrist to bring on sight when presenting.

TunnelRat

One thing I noticed about the PPQ is that they have plastic guide rods. Does anyone know if this is an issue?

So do Gen 3 Glocks. It is possible if you have enough magazines (and I mean a LOT preloaded) to melt the guide rod if you expend thousands of rounds in short order. Is it an issue I worry about? No.

K_Mac

I've shot both, own neither. I'm probably a little more comfortable with the Walter, but no discernible difference in accuracy for me. If I were going to choose one, it would probably be the 19 for the reasons already listed.

When I bought my SR9c I was a little concerned about the plastic guide rod. I decided I would replace it as soon as it showed the slightest wear. Several years and a few thousand rounds later I am still checking for any wear.

Siggy-06

I do find the ergonomics and trigger better on the PPQ, however glock mags are cheaper and I prefer the stock sights better on the Glock than the PPQ. I shoot both equally well, as I do with all my pistols because it comes down to practice.

Both are great choices and either will serve you well. If you can, pick both up back to back and which ever is more comfy, get that one. You can always get a used police trade-in Glock down the road for cheap if you wanna scratch that it later.

elde

I own both. IMO the PPQ certainly does have a better trigger. And also IMO, the trigger is too good for SD & CC use. In my example the trigger is simply too light at 3.5lbs. I have 1911's with triggers of that weight but obviously they are single action with safeties. I personally am more comfortable with a 5.5lb trigger for carry/SD in a striker fired gun. My PPQ is relegated to range use for that reason. All that being said, the several Glocks I own also primarily sit in the safe, as my primary carry guns are now the HK P2000 & P30sk - both in the LEM version. Meanwhile, with well over 2000 rounds of various FMJ & JHPs through the PPQ (Model 1) there have been zero malfunctions & in my shaky hands it will do 2" @ 15 yards all day.....it's a great gun.

odugrad

Alright, so I ended up purchasing the PPQ. But I noticed something real odd when I got it home, field stripped, and cleaned it.

It has polymer sights.

That really surprised me as I've never had any experience with these. Even the PPS I have has metal sights.

Are these pretty durable? Does anyone recommend swapping them out? I'm planning on using the PPQ for edc once I've put it through the paces and want to count on it 100%.

Siggy-06

The polymer sights should be pretty durable, polymer is durable in general. Glocks come with poly sights as well and hold up great too. Plenty of after market options if you find them lacking. Shoot it first, then decide. Congrats on the PPQ!

Snuffy308

PPQ is a great gun. Trigger I would describe as "target like". Makes a great range gun. I wouldn't worry about the poly sites. Will be fine unless you're going to war with them.