Reviews of Charter Arms .357?

MedicineBow

My son is thinking about buying a Charter Arms .357, 4" barrel.

I know nothing about them, so thought I'd ask around.

Anyone have any thoughts, experience, criticisms, praise, etc.? And if the reaction is in the negative, any thoughts about what else he should look at in that price range...as cost is an issue for him?

Much appreciated.

Walklightly

My son is thinking about buying a Charter Arms .357, 4" barrel.

I'm assuming a new model.

If I was that poor or cheap, I'd get it before anything made in Brazil.

I'm poor and broke/cheap, I'd consider an upgrade to a Ruger flavor, but I would not try to discourage him from a cheap gun that will work.

g.willikers

You'll probably be getting all kinds of advice about Charter Arms.
The company has changed hands a bunch of times with variations in quality.
So, it kind of depends on when they were made.
The latest incarnation is supposed to be pretty good.
Were you thinking of new or used?

MedicineBow

Um, I wouldn't say my son is "poor or cheap." But he's 21 and supporting himself.

And, yes, he's looking at a brand new one.

drail

If you end up getting a Charter in .357 my advice is to just shoot .38 Spl. in it. Shoot some .357 Mag. out of a Charter one time and you'll know why. It will "teach" you to flinch and pull your shots. I would try to find a used S&W J frame .38 Spl. They have been making them for a long time so they're out there. Most people will find a S&W easier to hit with than a Charter. Most "used" Charters will be fairly "loose" if the owner practiced a lot with it. Especially in .357 Mag.

Tell him to give up beer for a month and put the money toward a Ruger.

If this is his primary do it all revolver don't take a chance on it. If it's just a range toy then I guess anything cheap will do.

MedicineBow

Thanks.

Maybe I'll suggest a Ruger (though I of course agree with S&W suggestion, as I love them).

This will probably require a little financial boost from me, which I really don't mind at all. Sort of my personal Gun Stamps program -- like food stamps, but different.

slow944

I usually check out the local pawn shops to see what they have. I haven't bought a new handgun in years. I found a Colt Trooper MKIII in a pawnshop in Bowie,TX for $500 OTD. Here's a picture. This one is from 1975.

ColtTrooperIIIKahrCW40003.jpg

ColtTrooperIIIKahrCW40002.jpg

bk42261

4" 357 vs. 2" 38

Hey Drail since the OP asked about a 4" .357 medium frame why would you suggest a small frame .38 as being better?
OP doesn't specify CC as a priority, so I'm assuming a first gun for fun and possibly HD use which makes a 4" .357 a much better choice IMHO than a 2 (or possibly 3") small frame.
Just sayin

coop2564

I have one and just love the gun. Its very accurate. I have about 700 or so rds thru it mostly 38spl. This gun only weighs 25oz and is a handful with 357 but a pure pleasure to shoot in 38spl +p. I carry this gun at my deer lease with 357 loads and have finished off numerous deer and shoot unknown amount of coons and hogs with it. But for targets if he wants to just pound a lot of 357 I would get something heavier, but for just occasionally shooting 357 and target practice with 38's then its perfect for that. I carry mine concealed often too, its just so accurate a 25yd head shot is doable if needed and 25oz is light. I have the bulldog 44 spl too.

44sp357mag.jpg

Newton24b

when it comes to actual published reviews, the few that i have seen in print concerning the 4 inch models is this,

they work, they fire ammunition. accuracy is within the standard par of all handugns being made today.

the only consideration you need to make is that the logo doesnt say smith and wesson or colt or ruger.

MedicineBow

Thanks for the effort of giving feedback...not mention feedback with photos.

Maybe it'll work for him. It would be the first revolver he actually owns, so it would just be to have in the house, sometimes carried in the outback, but generally used with targets, etc., to get the feel of a revolver.

Good advice on running .357 through it only occasionally, and sticking to 38 spl (not hard advice for him to follow, given financial considerations) as a general matter.

Thanks again.

g.willikers

Last Sunday, the guntalk podcast had an interview with the current owner of Charter Arms.
He explained the history of the company and its ups and downs, as well as how it is run today.
It's in the third hour of the show, available at their website, guntalk.com.
Very interesting, especially now that the company is back in the hands of the family who started it in 1967.

aarondhgraham

I need to buy a Charter Arms handgun,,,

Just so I can say I own and like it.

Seriously, I expect a little windfall of cash real soon,,,
I might just buy a 4" Target Pathfinder with it.

My lady friend has a 2" snubbie in .38 Special,,,
And a 4" target Pathfinder in .22 LR,,,
Both are very nice handguns.

Everyone talks about their "lack of fit and finish",,,
That's something I can't understand at all.

Hers are finished as well as the new Rugers I have seen,,,
And the fit is just as tight as both Ruger and S&W.

I have no dog in this fight,,,
I just don't understand the put-downs.

Charter is an American made gun that is very high quality,,,
They are diligently trying to overcome the stigma of the Charco era.

Granted, their colored models seem a bit silly to me,,,
But they fly off the shelves at the Evil Pawn Shop,,,
The Evil Pawn Shop Guy gets positive feedback.

Aarond

DFrame

A friend of mine has a "Southpaw". A true left handed charter. The action feels gritty but it shoots just fine, and it costs a boatload less than a S&W or Colt. Fit and finish are certainly NOT up to S&W or Colt standards but if you are on a tight budget the charter is a completely functional alternative. His gun has NEVER failed to go bang and everything operates exactly as it should. Charter has always provided an economical alternative to the better known brands. Their spotty quality control through several ownership changes has been noted. Who among us DOESN'T inspect a new gun purchase very carefully before handing over the cash?

slow944

All that I was trying to suggest was that the OP look around the pawnshops in his area and see what they have to offer in a used 357. I have bought more than 1 handgun from a pawnshop and have always been able to get it for a lower price than what they were asking. Hope this clarifies my first post.