Review: Waldon Holster Co. Sidewinder IWB and Belts

Bulldog

A couple of weeks ago, the BBT delivered my Waldon Holster Co. Sidewinder (for the G19/23/32) and two Waldon companion belts. I'll start off with reviewing the holster.

The Sidewinder

The Sidewinder IWB is similar to the Mitch Rosen ARG, whereas the single belt loop is set to the rear of the holster. This set-up allows for a relatively smooth, flat, unobtrusive profile.

I never was a fan of IWB carry because I could never find an IWB holster that was comfortable for me. Specifically, I have a Galco Royal Guard for the Commander-sized 1911 and a Sidearmor IWB for the G30. The Royal Guard is just way too thick, and the Sidearmor digs into me too much. Both of these holsters have the belt loops right up-front, and that also adds to the overall thickness.

I can say that the Sidewinder is quite comfortable for me. Routine, everyday movement and driving proved pleasant. There was one day where it rubbed me to slight discomfort, but at the time, I was moving into a new house - Bookshelves, couch, beds, dressers, appliances - A lot of activity in the 105º heat. This, however, wasn't so uncomfortable as to prompt me to remove the holster.

The holster design allows the front of the holster to "give" a little in up-and-down movement, as there is no belt loop up-front. I believe that this contributed to the comfort of the holster. This feature, however, is by no means unsecure.

Drawing from the holster is smooth and quick. You'd think that with the lack of a front belt loop on the holster it would tend to come out on the draw - It doesn't. Reholstering is made easy by the reinforced holster mouth. Precise placement of the holster is easy while in the pants and on the belt.

As is the norm with any Waldon product, molding, detailing, finishing, and stitching of the holster is superb. Unlike Rosen's product, the belt loop of the Sidewinder is fastened to the holster with two brass Chicago screws, so I'll assume that you could have Mark craft you multiple belt loops for different size belts.

The Belts

The Waldon Companion belts are high-quality, ¼"-thick hunks-o-cow. These are perhaps the best belts I've ever had. While they are thick, they are very comfortable. As he advertises, they retain the flexibility you should have in a belt.

There are 5 buckle holes approximately 1" apart. The holes are large - Around ¼" I'd guess, maybe a little larger. Attached to each belt is a nice, heavy-duty solid brass buckle. Brass Chicago screws keep the looped end (the buckle end) secure.

As with his holsters, finish and stitching is superb.

------------------

High-quality leather holsters at affordable prices. I highly recommend dealing with Mark Waldon.

------------------
¡Viva la RKBA!
Bulldawg: NRA, GOA, TSRA, Shiner Bock Connoisseur.
Bulldawg's Firearms Page