Review:NAA and .22 WMR Gold dot short barrel

Vt.birdhunter

Just had the opportunity to shoot a box of the new Speer short barrel personal protection loads in .22wmr from my NAA mini magnum and NAA black widow.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/954.htm

RECOIL was barely noticeable from either revolver; on par with CCIs 40gr FMJ, maybe a tiny bit "snappier" than Winchesters 45gr dynapoints.

MUZZLE FLASH was also barely noticeable when fired in the near-dark. I was able to repeatedly regain a dim (no tritium) view of my sight picture in quick succession between shots. For "S's" and giggles, I fired my mini-mag with one hand while sighting a tritium sighted glock at the same target. The brightness of the tritium remained prominent over the muzzle flash in my field of view.With the Pug, or other tritium sighted NAA revolver, and the Speer loads, you will be able to acquire your target during rapid shot succession in low light conditions.

ACCURACY was a tiny bit worse than I get from CCIs FMJ load, but still better than I see from other loads. For a "belly gun" load, the difference is negligible.

I did not get to examine penetration and bullet expansion compared to other loads. Hope to add that info ASAP.

Last edited:

ohen cepel

Sounds good, thanks for the info, I didn't even know it was out there now!

Looked around on the web some and there are other reviews which looked favorable. I had been sticking with CCI's since they were the best choice years ago (lost 4 years overseas and stuck in ny without it).

dennis228

I'm sure you were wearing ear protection testing your NAA with the Gold Dot, but did you happen to notice less muzzle blast? Wondering if the lower flash and charge for short barrels might have effected the blast. I have a S&W 351PD that is very loud with any 22 WMR load. Would hate to have to set one off without my hearing protection? Have not seen any of the new Speer or Hornady ammo in my neck of the woods. My 351PD is loaded with CCI Gamepoints.

wnycollector

Nice write up. I have been looking at the gold dots and the new hornady critical defense ammunition as a replacement for my trusted Winchester fmj ammo. Where did you find the gold dots?

Vt.birdhunter

I'm sure you were wearing ear protection testing your NAA with the Gold Dot, but did you happen to notice less muzzle blast?

I did want to comment on this, but due to ear protection, I felt it was too arbitrary and subjective to give you folks an honest answer to.
I will say this: I was shooting in an indoor range and I do notice the concussive effective of the muzzle blast from other pistols I fire. The effects of firing 10mm autos and .357's hit me in the head with a "wave" like sensation at this range. The .22 WMR produced nothing like that in comparison. I did not notice any difference in concussive effect between the different .22WMR ammo I was using.

Like recoil, perceived effects like this will vary from shooter to shooter.

Where did you find the gold dots?

Best price I found online was here:
http://www.holographic-sights.com/CCI-22WMR-40GR-GDHP-SHORT-BBL-50-p/cci954.htm

Was on my door step in 3 days

I still have not found anyone with the Hornady Critical Defense .22WMR 45gr load in stock, can anyone help?