Review: Command Arms SRS (Image Heavy!)

Indrid Cold

So I figured since I haven't seen too many people with my same stock, I would give it a go and review the thing so the rest of you could get a better look at it I have linked some images due to the image number restrictions. Hope this helps...

At $399.99, the Command Arms SRS stock is not cheap - its well known competitor, the Magpul PRS, runs almost $150 cheaper at $255.00. However, in my opinion, for the most part you get what you pay for. For the record, there are both carbine versions and a recently released, monopod-less version - both of which are cheaper, the latter significantly so at 229.99/209.99 (Rifle/Carbine).

At 2.05lbs, the SRS is a sturdy union of composite plastics and machined steel and aluminum. It arrived (thanks to PKfirearms!) in a small, nondescript box with its sticker and barcode on the front. No extra money spent on packaging, I suppose. Hoppes shown for size.

IMG_0993.jpg

The box contained the stock, in bubble wrap, along with a single sheet of paper for installation instructions, and a 3mm allen wrench. Once unpacked, the stock was fairly simple to install...

IMG_0996.jpg

The first step was to move the shoulder rest all the way down and the cheek rest all the way up. At this point, unscrew the single screw in the middle of the stock with the supplied allen wrench. Flipping the stock over, we can now use the stock length adjustment button to release the stock and extend it as far as it will go.

This exposes the end of the stock tube. During initial assembly, there is a washer taped over the end. Remove your old stock, but save the screw, and replace with the new stock. The washer will cap the old buffer tube and act as a spacer, with a depression allowing the screw to sink flush with the washer upon tightening.

At this point, you can now adjust to your specifications. From what I will call zero (flush with the bottom of the unadjustable area of the stock), the rubber butt of the rifle can be moved approximately 5/8ths of an inch down, and 1.75" up. The cheek rest can also be moved from resting against the rifle tube to 1.75" above it, and the upper section can be moved equally as far forward. Remember to replace the screw after adjusting for shoulder length.

One of the central selling points of this stock is the monopod. It is entirely metal, spring-loaded, and meant for business. It locks in three positions;

0 Degrees:

IMG_1003.jpg

45 Degrees:

IMG_1004.jpg

90 Degrees:

IMG_1005.jpg

After determining which initial position you want the monopod to be in, you can then adjust for height by means of the extending leg. The leg itself has two buttons - one on top, and one on the bottom - used to release the spring-loaded leg to the desired height. The top button releases the top section of the leg to a maximum of 1". The lower button releases the lower section to a maximum of 2.25". All in all, if you were to extend both sections of the leg to their maximum, the pod itself would reach 7" in length. Other things to note include a spot at the bottom of the stock for a sling pivot, and a smaller Picatinny rail at the very front of the underside of the stock.

Fully Deployed at 90 Degrees:

IMG_1007.jpg

Construction-wise, I really like the SRS. To me, it feels like a very business-oriented stock. What can be plastic is plastic, and what needs to be metal (for the most part) is metal. It's not unnecessarily heavy or, conversely light at the cost of being flimsy. The mono-pod both feels and looks solid. Everything locks down strong, and I have not had an issue of slippage, or any play between the actual rifle tube and the stock itself. As noted on the website, if you have a bipod, the stock will greatly increase your ability to brace your shots and fine-tune your elevation via the mono-pod. The SRS offers more customization than the PRS, at a cost of course, but if it makes your shots that much more comfortable, it just may be worth it.

A few criticisms and comments...

While the SRS is a great stock, I would not recommend it for applications where it would get tossed around in the muck or dirt and grime. It has a fair amount of moving parts, specifically threading, and they are mostly unprotected. Getting grains of sand and dirt could potentially be damaging. Granted, if you're getting that much dirt and stuff on your stock, being able to move your cheekpiece may not be your greatest problem. Kidding aside, I would see this much more at home in a police officer's or urban sniper's arsenal than I would in the jungle or deep in the field.

When I say the mono-pod is spring loaded, I mean it. You press the button and that pod comes *shooting* out. It might even be a weapon in itself if you get close enough to someone to get a headshot with the tip of the thing. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but something to note. Very strong springs in both the pod and all of the buttons. They take some strong single hands, or sometimes even both hands to depress and manipulate the other parts of the stock. Indeed, re-priming the mono-pod is a two-handed job.

The only true construction criticism I have lies in the upper section of the cheek rest which moves horizontally. Each other adjustible area does so by mating plastic with metal, or metal with metal, via screws or bolts or whatever. This increases the strength and rigidity of the adjustment. Unfortunately, this upper cheek piece is plastic on plastic. While the pieces themselves are strong, the union between the two is not as strong, and there is some give. It's still sturdy enough to rest your head and cheek on, but it doesn't feel nearly as sturdy as the rest of the stock. It would greatly help if it was manufactured with a steel tab and rail design over plastic.

Hope that helped!