Reversing 10/22 Safety for Lefties

Mike Kilo Niner

I couldn't pass up a deal on a sweet little scoped 10/22 at the Gun Show this weekend -- "lovingly used." :) I have only one problem: being a southpaw in a... northpaw's (?) world :rolleyes:, somebody incosiderately went and stuck the safety on backwards!

Can a mere mortal who's reasonably handy with tools correct this problem, or is this a job for a professional? Or can it even be done? Advice and/or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

AR-10

My advice is don't mess with it. I'm a lefty too,and I have had several opportunities to consider this issue. If you change the set-up and get used to it,good for you-for now. What if you lend the gun to someone else,even for five minutes? what if you borrow someone elses gun after getting used to the way yours operates? It's not worth the risk. Just use it the way it's made. My two cents.

Mike Kilo Niner

AR-10,

I appreciate the sentiment, but it's a gun I'd like to use to hunt rabbits and other small game -- quick transition from "safe" to "by-by-Bugs" is important to me. Besides, I never really rely on a mechanical safety, and I've been accused of being the "safety Nazi" every time I let someone touch my guns. :rolleyes:

Regardless, thanks for the reply.

Mike Kilo Niner

Tupperware,

Thanks -- that'll certainly do the trick, but it costs almost $30. Does anyone know if the standard safety button can be installed left-handed? If so, any pointers on how to do it? I hate to spend 1/5 of what I paid for the whole rifle and scope just on a safety.

Tupperware

The standard safety button is a dedicated unit. It can't be reversed without heavy mods as far as I can tell. Brownells dealer cost on the safety is $21.56 and as I understand they will give you this price so long as you register online and indicate that you have a "non-FFL related business".