Return of the derringer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smee78

Looks neat but how well will it perform? I've had some derringers in the past and they were almost as big as my j frame.

Poodleshooter

I LOL'd at this bit of marketing commentary from their page:

"1911 Ergonomics"

I carry a J-frame every day, but those tiny derringer barrels give me the willies.
Shooting an NAA derringer makes me feel like I'm going to shoot my fingertips off.

aarondhgraham

It defines last ditch weapon,,,

But pretty much all derringers do that.

It's 5.5 inches long,,,
That's only an inch shorter than my Bersa Thunder 380.

That DA trigger would have to be better,,,
Than the hammer and spur trigger on a standard derringer.

I like the fact that it's only 5/8 inch thick,,,
I could make a wallet to hide that.

The one thing that would give me second thoughts is the,,,
Loaded rounds are visible feature of the gun,,,
Do cases ever blow out at the rim?,,,
I don't know so I'm asking.

I would love to fire one with .45 ACP rounds,,,
It would be a trip to experience the ported barrels,,,
I am very curious as to how well they would tame muzzle flip.

There will be a lot of people who will buy the gun,,,
I think they look slick as all get out,,,
But I would want to shoot it first.

All told,,,
I'm intrigued.

Aarond

abelacres

Maybe a good BUG

I'd like to see pics of the 9mm.
What keeps the rounds from falling down the barrel?
I've got a Cobra Arms Derringer in 9mm and its a PITA to load

Jamas

It seems like you are losing a lot with insubstantial size reduction. I was gonna say it would be great as a beach gun, but you know sand gets everywhere and this thing has lots of places to hold sand.

sgms

Interesting yes but, is it practical? Quick comparison,
DOUBLE TAP-----------------S&W 642( this one because I have one with me)

Cal. 45 acp or 9m/m---------38 spl +P
Weight 14 oz------------------15 oz
Width .665 inch--------------1.25 inch
Height 3.9 inch---------------4.5 inch
Length OA 5.5 inch----------6 3/8 inch
Barrel 3 inch------------------1 7/8 inch
Capacity 2---------------------5

With exception of the 45 acp option I see very few advantages, 1 oz. less weight, about 9/16 inch narrower, 3/5 inch shorter (for me at lest that would give me a 1 1/2 finger grip,OUCH), 1 1/8 inch more barrel, 7/8 inch shorter. I would love to see some pressure, velocity, other ballistic info on it. Like I said interesting but I'm not sure I want to give up the 3 more rounds in the revolver and Im willing to bet the smith can be reloaded faster also.

CWKahrFan

If the street price point is less than $200 it might have a chance.
What a risky and tiny market to (pardon the pun) shoot for.
New and different products are interesting... I like looking at the picture... But even if I had tons of $, there are about a thousand other guns I'd be buying before that one.

Last edited:

briandg

I looked it over. I wouldn't own one if paid to take it. It doesn't meet any of my needs, and I've serious doubts about the utility and capability of it.

Besides, shooting a ported .45 acp derringer seems to be like an extreme sport, and I'd never even be able to hear the police sirens afterwards.

spacecoast

Very cool, I think they will sell a bunch of them if it's priced right and works every time. The width is what makes it so pocketable, and in 9mm it shouldn't kick any more than a comparable J-frame. Coming early in 2012.

Carry_24/7

It should be lighter, as for a few more unloaded ounces you can carry a PPS. If it could come in at less that 12 ounces, ok. I would not care about recoil.

But, it is much lighter than the Bond Arms models, which is probably the brand they are chasing. I like the two-shooters Bond has, but for their weight you can have a full sized pistol.

That they are made in America is nice. Even with the weight, I like it.

C0untZer0

OK, now I gotta have one.

I still regret not getting the American Derringer DA-9 :(

Derringer are pretty simple, I can't imagine it wouldn't function. What I'd be worrying about are stresscracks.

I've seen the Titanium after-market Glock firing pins shattered.... that's the only thing that concerns me with Titanium.

I e-mailed and got a return that it won't be out until 2012. i would buy one because I collect derringers. I do have a Downsizer .45ACP too..it hurts. Have a COP and AD DAD-9MM and a lot more

downsizer%2Bvs%2Bplaying%2Bcard.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/10/04/heizer-defense-doubletap-45-pistol/

Last edited:

C0untZer0

Unless I find out that it explodes and sends deadly shrapnel flying into your face, I am going to buy one no matter what.

But the main thing I see is how thin it is. It is taller and has longer OAL than the Rohrbaugh or Kahr MK9/CM9/PM9. And it's slightly heavier than the Rohrbaugh by ½ oz.

Certainly a case can be made that if you're going to carry that size and weigh around with you, why would you want only a 2 shot pistol when you can have a 7 shot pistol in almost the same form factor?

I see that it's so thin it probably does not print, and the upside of only holding 2 rounds is that it doesn't get any heavier with a loaded mag. Technically it holds 4... but the butt of the pistol acts like an ammo carrier...

Heizer DoubleTap
Caliber:9mm
Barrel:3.0in
Length:5.5in
Height:3.9in
Weight:13.5oz
Capacity:2 Rounds

attachment.php

Rohrbaugh R9
Caliber:9mm
Barrel:2.9in
Length:5.2in
Height:3.7in
Weight:13.5oz
Magazine Capacity:6 Rounds

attachment.php

Attachments

• DoubleTap-4-rds.jpg
    DoubleTap-4-rds.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 10,934
Last edited:

Joe the Redneck

I fired a 45 acp derringer once. Only once. I have no idea where the slug went. For all I know, it is still upthere somewhere.

No for me. I'd rather hit the badguy with a 32 than try to give him a heart attack. Ofcourse the heart attack may be more effective.

Now if you handload, that might be a horse of a differnt color. Don't know it i would use reloads for SD though.

Neat gun, maybe one day they will make it in a small caliber.

SIGSHR

I would prefer a Bond Arms derringer myself. Remember that a derringer is an "arms length" or "table top" gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.