Retro Guns

Nightcrawler

Has anybody noticed the rising popularity of Retro style firearms? "GI" type 1911s are all the rage now, when for years all the manufacturers are were making "modernized" pistols with night sights, forward cocking serrations, etc.

I think it's a nice trend. There's a whole range of old firearms that I, personally, would like to see ressurected with modern metallurgy.

Besides. The only thing really different about the "new" pistols over the old ones is the use of polymer and carbon fiber over steel and aluminum, in some cases, and better metallurgy (which can be applied even to an old design). Single Action, Double Action, and Striker Fired weapons have all been around for a great many years.

Maybe there really isn't anything new under the sun. :D

dsk

The fact is we all get carried away with owning guns meant for combat, defense, or World War Three and forget that this is also a hobby.

WilderBill

You can get Colt Walkers and LeMats now. Is that retro enough for you. I like it! Maybe somebody will crank out some broomhandles in .45 or 7.62 x 25 or .357 Sig. Modern metals should make that safe. Retro with a twist. ;)

croyance

It seems to me that Sturm Ruger got its start in centerfires by going retro with single actions.
S&W has recently gone retro with offerings from the Performance Center. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Maybe there are a bunch of 686's on the used market, but how many 1917's and Schofields do you find? HArd to resist for many, even with the boycott.
For the market in general, it makes sense. How many service pistols do you have? How many guns to cover the home defense and concealed carry needs? I have many in each catagory. Another service gun would be hard pressed to catch my attention. On the other hand, a retro gun is just plain fun.
The success of Cowbay Action Shooting and the SASS contributes to this too. It seems fun to me, but the Roaring Twenties is a lot more interesting to me. I think that the World Wars are of great interest to many gun owners. So many things conspire to this trend. Even the prosperity of the nineties (gotta do something with all that "disposable income") and muzzle loaders for hunting help.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Repros of flintlock rifles and muskets have been around a long time, as have copies of generic flintlock pistols. I have now been told someone is making a repro of the fine old Model 1836 pistol. Now if they make an 1842 repro, I'll be very interested.

Jim

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Retro is cool.

pepper1s.jpg

Nightcrawler

Tamara, what on earth IS that? Is that a pepper box of some sort?

Mark Twain had a thing or two to say about the pepper box, if I recall.

Anyway, any particular guns you'd like to see resurrected? For me, I'd like to see the 1917 revolver in .45ACP, but made with modern metallurgy so it can handle +P loads and such.

How about a Webley repro in .45ACP as well? :)

agtman

"***'GI' type [.45] 1911s are all the rage..."

:D Ah yes, close your eyes, lay your head back, and picture those Retro years:

The Yankees in the World Series, a toe-tapper from the Andrews sisters lilting from the radio, the aroma of unfiltered LuckyStrikes wafting across the room, ...

Yep, the Retro years, when times were simplier.

Aside from an oil-soaked rag to wipe down his steely blue 'gommit' model with, all a man really needed was a close shave, a dry martini, ... and a Suicide Blond on his lap. :eek:

:D

Rusty S

Not for me. Stainless guns were harder to machine to the finish of carbon steel. They learned they could get away with selling guns not up to snuff because they were stainless, and once factories did find a way to make a finish up to the blued guns, people were used to half baked guns so no need to go back to the old standards. Both Colt and Smith went that way.

A while back on a semi forum someone asked what was the best gun ( auto ) he could get for $600 dollars. Hold a minute on the autos and I'll come back.

Today, a new S&W revolver with or without integral lock costs near $600. You can, if you look around, find a blued, pinned, and recessed equivalent in near new to unfired shape for $300. I found an unfired 19 last week. I found a used but tight and almost spotless Highway Patrolman that I'd put against any just-off-the-line last week-end N frame for quality. I think I paid under 250.

It's not that you can pay half price for a used gun. It's that paying twice the price for a new one doesn't get you even near the same quality.

Now back to autos. Much the same thing, but prices are closer.

rant off

Last edited:

ATeaM

"Has anybody noticed the rising popularity of Retro style firearms? "GI" type 1911s are all the rage now, when for years all the manufacturers are were making "modernized" pistols with night sights, forward cocking serrations, etc."

I never understood the whole "forward serrations, duo tone, drilled out triggers, carbon fiber grip" trip. It's kinda like; N'Sync, lowered Hondas, Beanie babies, MC Hammer pants, Martha Stewart K-Mart collection...bad taste is spread all across the board here in America. Good to see the companies are getting back to the basics.

jar

the problem is that handguns are TOO well made.

So, people didn't buy new ones. That meant big troubles for the manufacturers.

Solution. Let's design a new cartridge that won't fit anything! Then all the Police Departments will have to buy new guns! And when the Police switch, the civilians will want the new stuff. We'll sell MILLIONS!

First it was the 10mm.
Then the 40S&W.
Lately it's been the 357SiG.
Next it will be the 9.3875mm.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Retro.. I love retro.

Lets have Colt make us a new 32 pocket pistol. Lets see a fancy new Webly RUC Bulldog in 45 acp or 45 Colt. Lets see Remington build us a new Derringer.

As far as a new "retro" S&W... Think I'd rather have the real stuff.

Last edited:

dsk

Going retro only works up to a point. Few people that I know of have much interest in spending the money on a Krausewerks Luger, as the whole fun of owning one is having a Luger that was used in one of the Great Wars. Same thing for the WW2 repro Colt M1911A1. While it sold fairly well, it would have sold a whole lot better had it not cost nearly as much as an original.

I think shooters are hungry for guns with some sort of cosmetic or nostalgic appeal to them. The market is way too glutted with black polymer street-ninja guns. Once I already have a basic battery to fight World War Three inside my house or a 7-11 store, all I need for the rest of my collection are guns that are a pleasure to own and shoot.

David4516

It would be nice to see some WWII guns make a come back, both handguns and rifles. Maybe the luger or the M1 Carbine. Also, maybe some of the older pocket pistols from the 20s and 30s, like the old stlye .32s.

jmlv

S&W HAS redone the 1917 its part of the hertiage series

Along with the large frame revolvers in 45 long colt and 44 special.
These come in a retro look and are even avaiable with casehardened frames for the first time in S&W history! They are also pricy. I myself prefer an origional 1917, but the new ones are real nice.