Retired KSP Trooper Killed In Black Powder Explosion

rdmallory

http://www1.lex18.com/news/retired-ksp-trooper-killed-in-black-powder-explosion/

I am guessing even if it was black powder not Pyrodex it would have to be in a tight container to cause an explosion not just a flash fire.

A former Kentucky State Trooper was killed in a massive explosion behind his Lincoln County home Tuesday afternoon.

Investigators say black powder set off the massive blast that killed 80-year-old Shannon Corman. His wife Louise and 57-year-old James Greenwood were seriously injured and airlifted to UK Hospital.

The explosion happened around 3 p.m. on Oak St. near downtown Stanford. Witnesses say multiple blasts shook houses as far as five miles away from the scene.

Police say Corman operated a gun shop behind his house, where he often worked with black powder. Investigators say a space heater, an electrical outlet, or even static electricity could have set off the blast.

Tuesday night, Louise Corman was listed in serious condition and Greenwood was listed in critical condition at UK.

Officials say they will take Shannon Corman's body to Frankfort for an autopsy.

griz

Wow, that's a big bang. I use BP because the muzzleloader season is a great time to be out in the woods, but I try to only keep a pound or two around for just this reason. It sounds like he had kegs if they heard multiple explosins.

Pahoo

Could have gotten some bad information but I was told that a dealer who is dealing in BP, is required to have a separate storage vault or bunker. This incident reflects on why BP is so expensive and hard to get. It is a Class-A explosive. Will pray for the family. i once had to remove a 15LB. keg from a widow's garage. Was in the process of buying some M/L stuff that use to belong to her husband and she casually mentioned that she had this keg behind car. Contacted a buddy who came and bought it from her. She was willing to give it away and very relieved to get rid of it. :)

Be Safe !!!

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Witnesses say multiple blasts shook houses as far as five miles away from the scene.

:eek::eek:
Why on God's green earth would you have that much BP in one place? Unless you're building fireworks, that's just silly.

Nate1778

News just said he was making BP. He sold it to hunters and was known for his blends. I mix BP but keep it to a pound at a time and about 100' from the house.

Nate1778

Something I was thinking about this last evening after the news cast is how much powder would it take to feel it 5 miles away, and I am sure it is a lot. One thing most people do not do as amateurs when making BP is press the meal into pucks. If this guy had some loaded presses at the time with pucks of powder and they went up, that would leave a crater. Picture a hydraulic press with a couple pounds of powder in a sleeve with a piston being pressed to roughly 10,000psi going boom.

bobn

without being as schmuck or down playing somebodies elses' tragedy, check into the DuPont family histories. they have lost several generations at a time with explosions. in the last decade several major companies have lost the whole plant. its dangerous stuff no matter how large or small the operation is. bobn