Reticle for 223

mapsjanhere

Signing tax papers yesterday our accountant surprised us with an additional credit I'd overlooked, adding substantially to the refund. By pure coincidence (I didn't have to go more than 3 miles out of my way, I swear) we happened by the Sportmen's warehouse, and I'm now the new owner of a Weatherby Vanguard sub-moa in 223. Now I naturally need a new scope too, and I'm looking for one with a "no touching the turrets for elevation" reticle like the Zeiss Z600 or similar. Does anyone have a good suggestion what to put on a target rifle like that (use up to 600 yard max)? Price should stay under $1000, so unfortunately no Nightforce.

mapsjanhere

Thanks for all the links. Scorch, the reason I'm not yet fully convinced on the Zeiss is that they only offer the Rapid-Z Varmint with the big 6.5-20x50, that's a lot of scope for a .223. The Z 600 and 800 are for different ballistic curves. I was really hoping for someone with experience with e. g. the Leupold Varmint or B&C reticles, or any other ballistic reticle.
PS: Played with Zeiss's ballistic software a bit, the rapid z 800 at 14 power fits for the Rem UMC 55 gr. Guess I slap a normal scope on it and see how the rifle likes that round, the 1:12 twist is borderline at the weight from what I read.

Last edited: