Retention holsters

When is it a good idea to use a retention holster?

• Always, keep your weapon in your control

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Open carry because it's exposed, useless for ccw

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Good for ccw not for open carry

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Only good for police/duty rig

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Never, It slows your draw too much

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

Recon7

Retention holsters, your thoughts. Not what you use just what you think. I tried to include every possible position. I am trying to determine when members of TFL here think they are good, or when they are unnecessary or not worth the compromises. Please explain your vote.

Kreyzhorse

I prefer some type of retention on my holsters, usually a thumb break. I do have a couple of open top IWB CCW holsters. I'm not worried that the gun is going to go flying across the room, but I am a little more diligent ensuring the gun is safely retained while using my IWB holsters.

Recon7

Thanks for the replies, it looks like we're split pretty evenly so far. I don't expect anybody to pick the middle choice, I just felt like being thorough. :)

B.N.Real

I move all over the place.

I like the thumb snap ones-the magnet ones are worse then useless to me and velcro annoys me to no end.

Technosavant

I don't see the point in it for CCW; when concealed it's pretty difficult to lose your weapon out of the holster. However, t'were I to do open carry, I'd think some kind of retention would be quite beneficial.

I use a Bianchi Carry-Lok holster quite often. I find them extremely useful with heavy weapons since they tend to be able to hold the weapon high and close to the body without being too bulky. They do require a little bit more practice and familiarity than an open top holster.

I would also not even consider riding my motorcycle without a retention holster...be it a snapping thumb strap or a trigger guard lock. :)

dairycreek

I carry concealed and, for that, use a regular holster. The absolutely only time I use a retention holster is when I am in the woods and brush. I don't want a piece of brush or vine plucking my gun from my open top holster and dropping it on the ground. Under those circumstances I use a holster with a retention strap. Only time though.

Erik

I use:

Concealed rigs: no retention aside from proper fit.

Open carry rigs: Level 1 via thumb strap (these frequently do double duty as concealment rigs and I'm fine with that.)

Duty rigs: Level 2 rention via Safariland's SLS system.

And no, I do not find transitioning difficult. But I've been running things this way for a while.

nutty ned

Some form of retention is nec or someday your handgun will drop out of the holster. The form of retention depends on where and how the gun is carried.
Forms of retention I have used are strap and snap, tight fit of the holster,
vest snapped up, IWB with belt pressure securing the gun, tight fit with a raised retention tab, and even a fanny pack holster.

Keltyke

If the holster FITS the gun (i.e., is made specifically for that particular weapon) then no other retention device is needed. Nylon straps and velcro may/will get tangled in the gun as you try to release the strap and draw the weapon. Thumb break works pretty well, but makes the holster larger. A "locking" holster does well for duty use, but makes the whole rig much too large for concealed carry.

A have a Blade Tech paddle holster made specifically for my Steyr S9 and I have no worries the gun will fall out during normal or even strenuous activities. I have a leather belt slide holster for my Taurus 85 and it's the same case, that gun is solidly locked in.

ChicagoTex

Essential for On Duty carry (LE's, private security, etc.), a really good idea for open carry.

I personally wouldn't carry openly without a retention holster, and the only retention holster *I* trust is a Safariland SLS.