Retailers to steer clear of?

Live45

Many people on this forum have had nothing to say good about "Cheaper Than Dirt" in Texas. I don't think I'd ever buy anything from them.

shouldazagged

I've bought a few things like milsurp-replica musette bags from CTD. Once bought two pairs of Carhartt super-heavyweight twill pants from them. All the stuff was all right. But I wouldn't buy ammo from them even before they jacked up their prices to some of the worst anywhere in response to the feeding frenzy. Damn sure won't buy from them now.

I haven't priced ammo at Dick's Sporting Goods, but their prices on other things like fishing tackle seem high to me compared to Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's.

Jerry45

I've bought several things from CTD over the past few years. Haven't had a problem. Price was good and the products were the same as those sold elsewhere. UTG 0-4 x 22 scope, magazines for Sig 522 .22 LR, 3 point sling, and etc.

So they jacked up their ammo prices? Bye bye! :mad:

flyguy958

Sportsman Guide is not my favorite. If you have something back-ordered they charge your card a few days before they ship without notifying you. Noe a big deal but after 4 months on back-order I'd like a heads up it was in and they were charging my card.

Hundy

Just my 2 cents

I really cannot say who to steer clear of. That being said. I make my rounds aobut 3 times a week to 3 big chain stores. I live in California, and happen to live within walking distance of a Basspro shop. So I go to Basspro, Turners Outdoor (california fishing/gun chain store) and Big 5.
The reason I only go there is; that they are big chain stores and dont raise thier prices to take advantage of the current situation. All the stores in the chain would have to raise thier prices not just one.
I only order online from Basspro. The reason is again prices, and if I order ammo, powder or primers there is no haz-mat charge. In fact there is no shipping period, I have it shipped to the store.
I am not trying to up sale or convert anyone to be pro basspro, but I also use thier card, so I get points and have money to put towards my larger purchases.
Just my 2 cents. I have visted the other mentioned online stores and could not order from them due to the shipping and haz-mat charge.

Jay

buffalo

I will NEVER buy from cheaper than dirt ever again,i had good service from them years back but they have jacked thier prices up so high to rape people during this panic buying time that in my book they are scum. They could sell .45acp for $5 per box and i still wouldnt give them a purchase.

Boomer58cal

I WAS a CTD customer for many, many years, but they have lost their way. they received something like half million complaint letters/emails after Newtown when they stopped online gun sales. I don't give my money to companies that don't stand with their customers and countrymen. I will never buy from them again.

Boomer

Airman Basic

Just checked out BassPro's powder prices. They seem to be higher than online only sites, even after the shipping and hazmat. Buying 8 pounds, I just bought Unique for $21 a pound.

Sevens

In this particular episode of gun panic, we've had many discussions on how a free market is defined, what makes capitalism work and a lot of the motivation and explanation behind rising prices during very volatile times. I can say that I've learned some things I didn't consider beforehand and I'd also add that there are some REAL things that the end-buyer (and angry internet poster) hardly ever considers and has a really difficult time trying to understand, especially when colossal emotion sticks it's head in to the conversation. :eek:

I've never once bought anything from CTD. The very first time I'd ever even heard of them, I gave 'em a look and found no prices that seemed ANY lower than any of my favorite places. And I thought the name they chose for their business sucked out loud. Sounds cheap, instills no confidence whatsoever.

But the first REAL mistake those fools made were a series of instant, over night price changes -- all the while continuing to put the MSRP right there on the item page and the CURRENT price (well over MSRP) right there with it, and the sheer number of screen captures that folks did and have shared. And this was back in the '08-'09 panic.

I'd love to tell you how much CTD has angered me and could never win my business, but the truth is that they NEVER had it and couldn't possibly earn it from me no matter what they might do in the future. I'm far too loyal to the outfits that have bent over backwards not only for me... but for our industry and the shooters in this country. And for that second half, there exists no outfit in this industry that I've ever heard of that hangs out in the league of Midway USA.

The Potterfields have done more for shooters and gun owners in the United States than any single company you could possibly conjure. And that easily includes any single gun maker, too.

OkieCruffler

I used to buy quite abit of ammo from CTD, especially after they opened the Allen store. A few weeks ago I was in there and was asked to leave because myself and another patron were remarking about how the price of dirt must have really gone up. We were standing in front of the bricks of 22 Colibre marked at $127 at the time. They will never see another copper cent of my money.
I had one terrible order with opticsplanet and will never order from them again, but other than that I've been pretty happy with most in the business.