Restoring two Model 10 revolvers.

PATH

I picked up two S&W Model 10's for a song. The bluing is worn a bit. Should I go with the original blue or will a bead blue be better?:confused:

XavierBreath

You will not increase the value of your Model 10s by rebluing them. You might decrease their value considerably. I'm enjoy them just as they are if i were you.

Tom2

How much wear?

IF it is just a little wear on the high points, you might just leave it alone. Or refinish the one with the most wear. I don't see a reblue affecting the value of a model ten that much, as they are not rare collectables or anything. On a common gun like that, I would expect that the quality of the refinish would have the most impact on the value. If there is pitting, deep scratches, etc., and they just buff over that so that it shows thru the new blue, that makes me pass on a purchase. If it is just a little wear, that is inconsequential, unless the front sight is shiny bare metal. You could touch that up with cold blue or a black paint. IF they were say, prewar M&P models, I might say do not refinish at all. Otherwise modern 10's are common and maybe if you want to customize one with a matte blue, custom grips, etc, no big deal. If the job looks good afterwards.

PATH

I bought them as beaters. I intend to use them as camp guns. They are in good shape except for holster wear on the bluing. Maybe I'll just pass on the bluing for now as they both shoot well combined with the fact they are going to be used extensively.

The problem is that a decent bluing job will cost $150-$180. How much is each gun actually worth? You can buy a nice Model 10 for $200-$225, so spending $180 on "a beater" doesn't make much sense. Lack of finish won't affect shooting ability, so I just use the old guns as is.

Little Silas

I've got an old 1940's Model 10 that looks like crap but I love it and depend on it. It's got "soul".
In the woods, I carry it in a WWII flap holster on a web belt.
It is very reliable and still accurate at 25 yards.