Resizing primed pistol cases

Sid

I have a large number of primed .32 ACP cases which need to be resized. Obviously I will remove the decapping pin before doing this. With the pin removed, is there still any danger of a detonation? I would like to get some advice on this, especially from guys who have done this. TIA

I have removed the pin to resize several times after pulling bullets before reloading them again. No problem at all. Just don't try to put another primer in the case while you are at it. 2 primers in one pocket just doesn't get it.

g.willikers

Most folks who reload have probably done it.
As long as there's nothing under the primer that can whack it, there's little chance of one going off.
Just make sure the cases are fully into the shell holder and the primers are directly over the empty hole.
If one would go off, without powder or bullet, it would just make noise.
Be sure to wear safety glasses, though.
Ear protection, too, maybe.

Last edited:

Wreck-n-Crew

I have de-caped several live primers when they were mixed up (magnum and standard.) Practically all accidental primer ignitions I have encountered have been when seating.

Nick_C_S

I have de-caped several live primers when they were mixed up (magnum and standard.)

How does that happen? :p

If I were in that situation, I would just load that mixed primer brass with middle of the road general purpose rounds. I wouldn't have de-capped them.

Alphadawg

This is mainly advice for new reloaders, maybe a reminder for experienced loaders: When you pull the pin to resize make sure the pin is centered when you re-insert it, otherwise you will break your decapping pin. Don't ask me how I know this:eek: