Resetting a Lee Sizing Die

LloydXmas250

The other day I got a case stuck in my Lee .223 full-length sizer die and I removed it following the instructions provided. I also put the die back together as the directions instructed but after I tighten the decapping bolt with the rod being flush, I run a case through and it will slightly push up the rod. Is this ok to have it up a slight bit. It never rises more and I can't tell if it's sizing correctly. Any thoughts?

NWPilgrim

Why do you think the decapping rod should be flush with the collet? All of mine stick up about a 1/4 inch or so.

The rod should be adjusted so that it sticks down just enough to decap the primer. If it is too much, like yours, it bottoms out on the case head before the die is all the way into the case.

wncchester

The decapping/neck expanding rod has nothing to do with how the case is sized, that's controlled by how far down the die body is turned in the press.

Lee's expander rod is designed to slide up if the user has it set too far down, that keeps it from being bent when the web of the case hits it.

Sevens

Good info so far, but incomplete.

When you tighten down that collet to snug up the tension on your decapping rod, you are looking for the sweet spot that is tight enough to hold the decapper in place and allow it to function to push out spent primers -- but you don't want it so tight that the rod can't slide upward if it should run in to an obstruction such as a Berdan primer or a piece of cleaning media jammed in the flash hole.

I tend to have the decap pins on all my Lee sizing dies sitting up on the collet by a nub... maybe an 1/8 of an inch or a bit more.

How to find the sweet spot? Tighten it down lightly and run a case up in to it and watch it move the decap rod. When it does, reset it and tighten it down a little more.

If you tighten that collet down too much, the die will work just as well as any other size die... until it runs in to an obstruction. Then it will bend or break the decap pin -- just like any other size die.

LloydXmas250

Thanks for the responses. I'm new in reloading so I don't know any better. The instructions say to put the rod flush with the collet which is why I was worrying. 1/8th is about all it's protruding so it sounds like I'm good. Thanks again, problem solved.

PA-Joe

What I do is adjust the depriming stem so that it extend just below the shellholder hole maybe a little more. If it is set too low the plugger will bottom out inside the case and then be pushed up.

Follow Sevens's instruction to let a resized case find the correct depth with the collet nut adjusted lightly. You may even want to run a number of cases in to make sure it is up where the case with the thickest head needs it to be. For most bolt guns, any setup method will work well enough, but if you are loading for a semi-auto with a floating firing pin, like an AR or a Mini-14, then you don't want the end of the decapping rod to push hard against the case web during decapping. Doing so can deform the web brass down into the primer pocket, decreasing the pocket depth slightly. This can cause primers to seat a couple thousandths closer to flush with bottom of the casehead. That increases your risk of slamfires. You want the pockets to remain as deep as they are supposed to be for these guns.

Firing pressure also deforms the web back slightly. It's one reason many folks clean primer pockets with a depth uniforming tool, so it tends to set the bottom of the primer pocket back to full depth at the same time.

So, Sevens's method is best for the mentioned rifle types. You need to be aware different case head designs in different brands. Over a number of years difference in age, there can be production changes in the same brand. Some now outsource their brass manufacturing to foreign companies so the exact die dimensions used can even change lot-to-lot. If you're loading cases that aren't all from the same lot, find the one that pushes the rod up highest, then use that setting for all. You can even add an extra 1/32" to the rod height if you are unsure.

wncchester

Lloyd, what Sevens said is true but you had already stated that you have pushed the rod up and it was working properly. Seems you "solved" your original problem.

LloydXmas250

Lloyd, what Sevens said is true but you had already stated that you have pushed the rod up and it was working properly. Seems you "solved" your original problem.

Yeah. I was just worried cause directions say flush and it's anything but. I was just trying to make sure I didn't break it. Thanks again.