Reserve Officers: Advantages/Disadvantages

TAZ

Anybody out there a reserve officer? Was wondering if this was an effective way of getting around the STUPID CHL restrictions. Just thinking of a currently legal way to loophole the CHL restictions re airports, bars (I dont drink, but wouldnt mind being able to hang out with friends who do), schools... Thought this may be one way to do it without going illegal.

markd

Well I am becoming a reserve officer here in San Jose, Ca. But I am doing it for different reasons, ie helping people, make a difference in our city. So I don't think you should become a reserve if your just trying to make it through a loophole for a CHL. Remember you still will have to go through almost a years worth of the school to become one and serve a certain amount of time per month in order to be considered a reserve for a dept. So please keep this in mind.

markd

Greg L

Uh, I think that they are talking about being a reserve police officer.

Otherwise I might not have gotten out a few years ago. ;)

RHC

I don't know about your state, but in many states reserve officers don't have off-duty carry rights.
Now a special deputy U.S. marshal badge, that would be choice...

markd

It matters how much training that you have recieved. A level III reserve has a different uniform that others and carries no weapon when on duty. A level II has the same uniform and has all the powers of a full time, carries gun,etc. But they must be with another officer when on duty. When off duty they do not have any special rights. But a level I reserve is just like a regular full time officer and sometimes will patrol on thier own. They do have some rights off duty depending on their state and dept. This is my understanding of it. I am still awaiting for the acadamey to set a date for the next class.

markd

If you want to become a police reserve just to carry a gun (and some reserves do have CCWs or are authorized to carry off duty as reserves), you're joining for the wrong reason.

Join because you want to serve your community. Join because you want to help your fellow man. Join because you're considering a career in law enforcement.

Don't join because of a badge, gun or authority. Folks who are drawn to power and abuse them are washed out quick.

BTW, a reserve position can be the kiss of death for anybody attempting to go full time. If the agency finds it doesn't like you, it won't give you a chance full time.

TAZ

Sorry, didn't want to make myself sound like some power hungry wannabe, but unfortunately managed to do so. For a time I considered a career in law enfoorcement, but decided that my high tech job was better in both pay and security. There has been a lot of discussion about carrying no matter what the law was, so I was wondering if there was some sort if loophole we can used against the morons enacting laws to hinder our ability to protect ourselves and our communities. I am sort of tired of the you guys cant do this and that while the LEO's can. Thought this would be a possible way to get around the problems without going outside the law. The last reason I wanted to look into this was to have a badge, a gun and an attitude.

------------------
"Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes."
-R.A. Heinlein

M1911

I'm not (and never have been) a police officer. But it seems to me to be a hard, thankless, and underpaid job. Which is probably one of the reasons, that police officers tend to die young (high rates of heart disease, suicide, divorce, etc.).

A reserve officer does it for zero pay. You accept all the danger that a normal police officer risks, and all the legal liabilities as well (if you do shoot someone, you will face a civil case and possibly a criminal case as well).

It seems to me that you'd better really want to do the job.

Jared

HukeOKC

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 4V50 Gary:
Join because you want to serve your community. Join because you want to help your fellow man. Join because you're considering a career in law enforcement.[/quote]

These were my reasons and I have decided to enroll this summer. I have always wanted to be a LEO. I joined the military out of a feeling that I needed to serve my country and I have the same feelings about my community. I like to deal with most people and I feel that the LE career is one of the most respectable. By doing reserve duty I feel that I will be able to decide if law enforcement is the career for me, and I won't have to quit my job I'm at now to go to an active police academy just to find out that it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. This seems like the smartest move for me.

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
In Texas, last time I checked, a Reserve Peace Officer has the same carry privileges as an Active Peace Officer.

I recommend trying out for a Reserve position. You will have to go through a Law Enforcement Academy--which is an invaluable education in itself--and you have to serve a certain number of hours per month.

I believe that Texas requires its Reserve Officers to serve 16 hours (two shifts) per month. Plus, you can, and will, be called up by the Sheriff/Chief when extra manpower is needed. And since such emergencies never happen in broad daylight, expect your phone to ring at about 3AM. A lot.

Some agencies in the North Texas area have a system set-up to pay their Reserves for emergency call-outs, but I understand that such a system is very rare indeed.

It is an interesting look at how the Criminal Justice system actually works, instead of how the Media, TV and Hollywood lead you to believe it works.

LawDog

FUD

Now that I'm bringing another generation into the world (i.e., children), I would like to very much help out in my community but no longer young enough to START playing "cops & robbers". I wouldn't mind devoting a couple of hours every other day to assisting with traffic control or something similar, thereby freeing up regular LEO's for more serious stuff that they are better trained for. What would be a good way to "get involved"?

By the way, what is a SPECIAL deputy marshal? I never heard of them (but what do I know?) -- I just heard of Marshals and their deputies (deputy marshals).

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited May 03, 2000).]

Glenn E. Meyer

A question:

Are you willing to put your life on the line for someone else?

Also, read something like Deadly Force Encounters (search on Amazon) and see if once you have the job, you can face it.

I have a friend who is a police officer. He was stabbed seven times with a screw driver. Is that OK with you to avoid some gun restrictions?

TAZ

I believe that "Special US Marshals" are the Feinsteins of the world. Dont need CHL cause they have a fed badge. Sort of like the loophole I was looking after.

Glenn, is it OK with you if you get stabbed 7 times in a school because of those gun restrictions? Maybe have to deal with your wife getting raped cause you could not carry in a bar, but wanted to go out and enjoy an evening out? I am more than aware that as a reservesit you are faced with having to do police work, which is dangerous. My concern was not with having to deal with the danger, community service but rather finding a LEGAL alternative to hte CHL restrictions.

[This message has been edited by TAZ (edited May 03, 2000).]

enfieldj

Reserves are restricted in Texas. Both by department regulation and state law. Most departments won't even mess with them because of the lawsuit potential, others have you sign a liability waiver. In other words, they'll hang you out to dry. It's quite common to have NO off duty carry priveleges. Also, you cannot work off duty security jobs, don't get compensated for injuries, or even get equipment issue in most cases. Sadly, there are enough goobers that want the badge, gun, and uniform to keep the applicants coming. There are good reserves. Unfortunately they are seriously outnumbered by the bad. I've arrested reserve officers before. For flashing guns and badges in bars, trying to extort sex on traffic stops, (Off duty, outside their jurisdiction, in their own car with a K-mart dash light) and pulling the reserve badge on DWI stops. They went to jail so fast your head would spin.

Glenn E. Meyer

Taz, you live in TX. I assume you have a CHL. The restrictions on CHL carry are not that onerous.

Think of risks. You want to be a cop with a pretty high risk ratio.

This is to avoid - not being able to go to a place with a 51% sign. There are plenty of places to get a drink without that sign.

You can't carry in an amusement park. But is the risk ratio higher in an amusement park which you might do once a year or so, or being a cop several times a week or month.

You can carry in church unless a 30.06 sign is posted. You can't go to H&R Block. If you think, you are taking on much greater risks than

If you go to places to have a good time that are intrinsically dangerous then you are not thinking. Did you pay attention in CHL class?
Have you taken advantage of the excellent commonsense training available in the Austin area? So, instead you take your wife there and you also become a cop. Great risk reduction plan.

You sound like the departed Muscles, is carrying the gun more important to you than being safe? In another post, IIRC, you spouted off that the Washington shooting in Seattle removed another retard off the street.

That's not the CHL test attitude or that of any recognized trainer. In a real class, that attitude would not be accepted.

Share that post with the department you apply for. Think of the gigantic liability risk you have just generated for them if you get involved in a questionable shooting.

The school ban is ridiculous but if you were a reserve cop and worked in a school, it is doubtful they would let you carry anyway. I know this is a fact in some systems.

You seriously and really need to rethink this.

enfieldj

Well, first off there aren't that many underground miners that get into wrestling matches with drunken rocks. We have 5 officers out on medical leave right now. One will never be back. Kind of hard to be a cop with only one eye. That's not really my point though. This fellow wants to put himself in High risk situations FOR FREE, with minimal training. Spending your training budget on reserves is a complete waste. He'll get none of the support routinely given to active officers, Large amounts of money spent, (The Psych test alone is going to set him back around 600$) and massive legal bills if he makes a teeny mistake. Add to that he'd probably, depending on the department, have to work somewhere around 40 hours a month to keep his reserve commission. All this just to carry in a prohibited area. I'd much rather go fishing.

Danger Dave

I'm not a cop, nor have I ever been, so take this for what it's worth...

The risk of being shot isn't that high, but it happens (happened to a friend of mine recently). You're more likely to die in a wreck than be killed by a BG. Being a farmer or a miner is more dangerous to you physically.

However, the mental toll is unlike any other job in the world. You see the worst kind of people in the worst kind of circumstances on a daily basis. Nobody calls the police to report their neighbors are being nice to them, or that their husband came home early from work and brought flowers; they call because the SHTF, and they need help. Other than that, people don't want to deal with you (think about it). Cops have extraordinarily high divorce rates, alcoholism, suicide, etc, etc. And there are real reasons for that. Imagine how hard it would be to trust people if every day at work everyone lied to you ("I really thought I was doing 60" to "no, I have no idea who beat up my wife" to "I'm working on getting you a raise") and a big part of your job was cleaning up the messes (car wrecks, homicides, suicides, domestic abuse, etc.) that no one else wants to know about, much less see?

If that's a job you want, go for it. I respect the people who do it every day and keep themselves together, but it's not for me.