Resale value of Security Six

HistoryJunky

I have a 6" Stainless .357 Security Six, and I'm looking to sell it. I paid around $400 for it, and that's my starting point for selling it. Is this around the right price range? Bore is clean, it is accurate and in great condition. Stainless finish, original Ruger box.

Sevens

The local market has a lot to do with pricing in my experience. Things I can safely say about the one you're offering:

--stainless makes it more "valuable" than blued
--six inch barrel makes it less "valuable" than four inch
--regardless of what fans and enthusiasts believe, it's less "valuable" than a GP-100 or similar Smith & Wesson or Colt revolver
--it's more "valuable" than a similar Taurus revolver

I will also tell you that if I saw this revolver and I liked what I saw with regard to fit, function and no red flags (regardless of external wear, dings and visible use), I would happily pay $400 for this revolver. I prefer longer barrels than most buyers seem to want, and I happen to be looking to add a Security, Speed or Service Six to my cache. I would accept blued for the right price, but I would prefer stainless. Same thing for barrel length... I'd take a four, but I'd rather have a six.

My knee jerk reaction to your question with no actual looking at the gun to pick apart all the details that might drop the "value" is that you are probably about $50 low in price, especially if you intend to bend a bit in negotiation.

If you had said $500, I would suggest that your price is high. But all of this is without actually seeing the revolver. It's amazing the small details that you can point out when you have some time and good lighting to go over it closely. :eek:

Billy Shears

Not a perfect comparison by any means, but I paid $365 for a very clean 4" blued model last month so $400 for a stainless version seems very reasonable to me.

Good luck.

shafter

I paid $330 for a 4'' blued model last year. Included was a set of Pachymar grips and Bianchi holster.

Gbnk82

Hold onto it a while the line is discontinued and they seem to be steadily increasing in both value and rarity.a few years from now 500 for a 6" stainless six will probably be considered a steal

HistoryJunky

Ahh. I'm not really sure what the local market is like to be honest. We don't any large gun stores for about 30 miles in any direction.

I do know that I've gotten a few offers equaling $400 or more, just wasn't interested in the particular guns offered.

The value of the Security Six IMO is huge. You get a .357 that's built like a brick bathroom-house, American made, and by a great manufacturer for pretty cheap, all things considered.

With the particular offer I'm pitching right now, I'm including 25 .357 158 gr JHP's, and some assorted .38s. And I have the original box. I don't know if that means anything to buyers for this gun.

Sevens

The value of the Security Six IMO is huge. You get a .357 that's built like a brick bathroom-house, American made, and by a great manufacturer for pretty cheap, all things considered.
Can't say that I disagree.

Seems silly that you wish to sell it.

JimmyR

I purchased a 6" Stainless Security Six approx 8 months ago, and paid approximately $450, taxes and all, in a retail store.

Most of the prices I have seen for Six series pistols in my area has them at the $450-$500 asking price. Gunbroker completed auctions appear to be hovering around the $425-$475 range, with a few outliers into the $500 plus range. I would think you would be able to hit the higher end of the ranges with the original box, and be somewhat likely to hit $500+