Repurposed .350 Remington Dies?

hhunter318

Could you neck size and seat bullets for a .358 Norma with .350 Remington dies? Before I buy a set of special order dies, I'd like to know if I can do this.

F. Guffey

Could you neck size and seat bullets for a .358 Norma with .350 Remington dies?

I have universal seating dies, the minimum length/maximum length is extreme, the advantage is seating and centering. If a 350 Remington seating die is used the die does not get far enough down to align the case.

Expensive, my favorite dies are short dies, the 350 Remington forming die is $90.00+ but it has paid for its self many times over when forming belted magnum cases for wildcats.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/350 Remington Magnum.pdf

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd358normamagnum.jpg

When neck sizing the 350 Remington has a slightly smaller diameter case body diameter below the shoulder/case body juncture. I suggest you try a few cases. I have neck sizing dies, I have used full length sizing dies to neck size cases. I am the fan of sizing cases that fit the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face. My intent is to reduce all that case travel.

F. Guffey

44 AMP

Staff
According to the case drawings in my Hornady manual, the .350 Rem Mag case neck is .355" long and the .358 Norma is .328" long shoulder is .489" for the Norma and .496" for the Rem.

Both show the same neck diameter, so it should be possible to size the neck of a .358 Norma in a .350 Rem die.

of course, it will take a bit of trial and error to get the right adjustment on the die body, and I have no idea if it can be done on your press, with the ram at full extension.

There are solutions you could use as spacers, if needed, such as a piece of tubing cut to the right length....

The specs say you should be able to size the neck without touching the shoulder, if you adjust it right to do that.

F. Guffey

Is it possible? I do the math then determine the difference in length then adjust the short die off the shell holder with shims, there is a word I have long forgot that is used to describe the method and or technique, the word made no sense then,,,,but I will look it up.

F. Guffey