Republican Upset?

Saab1911

The odds were very long this year for Republicans.

We had eight years of Dick Cheney running the country with his Halliburton
friends.

The war was started on false pretenses and too few troops were committed
to re-establish law and order. What could have been a two month war has
dragged on for five years.

The economy is not doing so well. We have a mini-stagflation happening
in this country. The economy is one thing that Dick Cheney is not responsible
for but the public always blames the government for the economy.

So, the odds were long indeed.

Then, the Democrats nominated Obama. Say what you will about the man,
but he defeated Hillary Clinton. The Clintons are old hands at this game,
but somehow Obama found a way to beat the Clintons. And due to Obama's
resume being what it is, attacking him is like attacking a column of smoke.
How can you attack his voting record when he votes Present on every
controversial issue?

But somehow, the polls are deadlocked once more. And, Sarah Palin is a
bona fide instant star. McCain and Palin will split up and cover a lot of
ground. Obama picked a running mate who nobody is excited about. Just
look at the poll.

So, it's essentially two Republican stars against one Democratic star with
polls deadlocked.

Can the most improbable of all upsets really truly happen? If it does, the
Democrats would have to lay the blame squarely on not picking Hillary as
Vice Presidential Nominee.

Cheers,

Jae

We had eight years of Dick Cheney running the country with his Halliburton friends.

You know, I see a lot of left-leaning "I hate Bush/Cheney" types make that accusation; but every time I ask them to name another company capable of providing logistics to the U.S. Army on a Haliburton-like scale I get silence. The fact of the matter is that Haliburton's success has a lot more to do with the fact that they are one of the few organizations in the world capable of moving and supplying an Army overseas.

You know, I see a lot of left-leaning "I hate Bush/Cheney" types make that accusation; but every time I ask them to name another company capable of providing logistics to the U.S. Army on a Haliburton-like scale I get silence. The fact of the matter is that Haliburton's success has a lot more to do with the fact that they are one of the few organizations in the world capable of moving and supplying an Army overseas

Well said.

It's going to take decades for some in the angry left to get over their Bush Derangement Syndrome, if they ever do.

I've though for years that "Dick Chaney and his Hell-a-Burnin' Henchmen" would make a great name for a swing jazz band. :D

FireMax

If the democrats weren't so devoid of new ideas, they would run away with this election. Instead, they have put up one of the most liberal members of congress for president.

While the average american suffers under the weight of nearly $4.00 per gallon gas and increasing inflation on food and other basic necessities, the democrats rattle off the same old line about not drilling for oil, or doing limited drilling while focusing on environmental concerns primarily.

To top it off, they repeat the same old lies they have repeated before about cutting taxes. The last democrat president to cut taxes was JFK, and that was over 40 years ago.

Unfortunately for the democrats, the american people, the majority of them, can smell a rat.

MADISON

Obama needs our vote

Obama needs your vote
Most of Hillary supporters/deligates are saying Hillary yes. Obama No. We are going to vote for John McCain.
In today’s news paper there were an article stating that Obama was “ticked” because McCain refuses to debate him on his Socialest/Wealth Redustribution.
When/if elected wait until he messes with the 80 million Baby Boomer. Hay that is the same number of American gun owners. I wonder how many are “double dippers”?

elza

Saab1911: What could have been a two month war has dragged on for five years.
It could have been but the powes-that-be didin't want it that way. Iraq is just annother Viet Nam. It is a cash cow for certain people to make lots of money. And just like Viet Nam it will drag on until the public finally forces a change.

gretske

The whole Democrat strategy has been high risk from the beginning. Putting up a Senator with the most liberal record in Congress to a center-right voting public is incredibly risky. The only way Obama can run, is to avoid details, and keep running against Bush, hoping to tie McCain to Bush.

If the electorate starts to ask Obama exactly what he would change, and force him to answer with specific plans, not objectives, not criticisms of the past, he is done for. So far, the left leaning press has given Obama a pass on detail, and Obama has kept himself sequestered from questions and from McCain.

Bzamazama

I agree that the press has given Obama a free ride. I certainly hope that the kind of change we get comes from McCain/Palin.

Brett Bellmore

Yeah, IIRC, Haliburton built most of that infrastructure in the first place, they had the engineering drawings on file, and the people who'd originally done the work on roladex. Anybody else who'd gotten the job would have subcontracted it to them.

For jobs that scale, there really isn't a lot of choice about who it's going to be done by.

That said, it was bonkers for Bush to set out on his war on terror, and not request that the troop caps be raised. That's been a persistent problem, and the surge was only bringing the troop levels up to what they would normally have been if we hadn't been strapped for manpower. Yes, it would have been a shorter war if Bush hadn't wanted to do is war on terror on the cheap, so that he could concentrate on his domestic agenda.

The whole Democrat strategy has been high risk from the beginning. Putting up a Senator with the most liberal record in Congress to a center-right voting public is incredibly risky. The only way Obama can run, is to avoid details, and keep running against Bush, hoping to tie McCain to Bush.

The strategy is always risky for the challenging party, but not so risky this time as fouled up things have become with the current administration. A liberal response to unpopular overt conservativism is logical.

If the electorate starts to ask Obama exactly what he would change, and force him to answer with specific plans, not objectives, not criticisms of the past, he is done for. So far, the left leaning press has given Obama a pass on detail, and Obama has kept himself sequestered from questions and from McCain.

You are making Obama out to be the underdog when he is leading in the polls and for a nobody, has led in the polls for a long time and done so many times.

I think so of y'all have way underestimated your opponent.

Kreyzhorse

Wrong or right, I think this will come down to the actual issues, not the McCain/Palin issues or the Obama/Biden issues. My hunch is that the ecomony will be the driving issue and unless it turns around between now and the election, the Republicans are going to get voted out of office. Before you start flaming me, I don't support Obama and and an not voting for him, but I'm calling the elections on the conditions we the people are facing, not the speeches provided by both parties. Like it or not, the speeches are aimed at what they think we think we want to hear.

Unemployment is still on the rise, highest in 5 years I believe. The price of oil is falling but inflation is now becoming a real issue. I don't like the idea of bailing out anyone because they bought too much house, but the mortage criss is looming as home prices fall. Iraq is still an issue even with a timetable for withdrawl, but its a huge drain on our national debt and I think the country is weary of it. Rattling the sabers against Russia won't help matters either.

Wrong or right, I think when the election rolls around, people will look for a change in party leadership, not because they are sold on Obama, but because he's not a republican.

I'm not suggesting the dems deserve the White House, god knows they haven't help matters either, but I think the dems might win by default.

gretske

You are making Obama out to be the underdog when he is leading in the polls and for a nobody, has led in the polls for a long time and done so many times.
First off, polls are frequently wrong. They were in 2000 and 2004. In Obama's case, he has consistently polled higher than his actual voting in the primaries. You can speculate on the reason, but a 2 point lead (today's Gallup) is hardly convincing.
I think so of y'all have way underestimated your opponent.
My opponent? Actually, I am not running for president this year.

Socrates

Jae:
I like you but, I got to call you on this one.

You use a poll you started, in VP's, in TFL, to support your argument?
:rolleyes:

You win the penguin of the day award:
penguinILLLOGIC.jpg
[/IMG]

shortwave

The Democrat blew this one in several ways. Two ways that sticks out 1: running a "nobody"(you said it,I agree), 2: Mr. "Nobody" not picking Hillary as running mate. :confused::confused::confused:. Ray Charles could have seen that that would have been the way to go. She`s got enough experience for the both of them as Obama`s got zero experience. PBP-sexy? Your picture has been on TFL many times

FireMax

Make no mistake... this will be a close election. One will defeat the other by 3-4 points and no more, IMO. McCain does not have this one in the bag, nor does obama. 60 days left is a long time in politics. There will be the usual democrat dirty tricks near the end (october surprise).

gc70

Penguins aren't cute, we're sexy...you sir are no penguin. :D

ROLF. PBP gets the "Best Post of 9/7/2008 Award" - now I just have to clean soft drink off of the monitor.

=====

OT, the media and the political parties have kept everyone focused on the Presidency while Congress lumbers along doing nothing.

Don't like the war in Iraq? Blame Bush for misguided convictions and blame Congress for not cutting off money for the war.

Don't like inflation? Blame Bush for not vetoing runaway spending and blame Congress for spending so much that the country's massive borrowing is devaluing the dollar.

Don't like high gas prices? Blame Congress for not taking decisive action to increase energy independence and diversity of sources.

Twisting Bill Clinton's famous campaign slogan, "It's the Congress, stupid." It is time for Americans to clean house in Congress - in both parties - and install legislators who actually work for the benefit of the country rather than their own re-election.

Saab1911

What do we have here?

McCain is now leading by 3 points.

Poll, not on TFL

And the trends suggest that the margin will increase in McCain's favor.

Why can't Democrats ever close out an election? If they screw this one up,
it would be three elections that they lost in which they were heavily favored.

Socrates

ROLF. PBP gets the "Best Post of 9/7/2008 Award" - now I just have to clean soft drink off of the monitor.
Plus one. Jae, always friends...;)

OT, the media and the political parties have kept everyone focused on the Presidency while Congress lumbers along doing nothing.

Don't like the war in Iraq? Blame Bush for misguided convictions and blame Congress for not cutting off money for the war.

Don't like inflation? Blame Bush for not vetoing runaway spending and blame Congress for spending so much that the country's massive borrowing is devaluing the dollar.

Don't like high gas prices? Blame Congress for not taking decisive action to increase energy independence and diversity of sources.

Twisting Bill Clinton's famous campaign slogan, "It's the Congress, stupid." It is time for Americans to clean house in Congress - in both parties - and install legislators who actually work for the benefit of the country rather than their own re-election.

Plus about 250 million. Right on the money. Vote your wallet...