Reproduction zf39 Scopes?

Polinese

Are there any quality reproductions of the zf39 or other German style optics available for mausers? I found the Red Star Mountain ones but from what I could gather they're not so great in the quality department.

Is there anything usable on the market or should I just buy a weaver k4?

emcon5

I bought the model Sarco sells, it was garbage, exchanged it, the replacement was garbage, I got a refund. I would keep an eye on Ebay for a used postwar German scope. I picked this Hensoldt Wetzlar Dialytan up for about the cost of the reproductions:

ht_left_close.jpg

Polinese

Thanks for the tip. When I looked today there wasn't much but that doens't mean there won't be tomorrow.

Related question, does the scope disconnect easily with the turret mounts?

emcon5

The Turret mounts are a quick disconnect, supposedly return to zero mount, but I don't take it off, so I can't confirm how good it works. Loosen that lever on the rear mount, and move the rear of the scope to the side, it pivots on the front mount and if I remember correctly after about 45º is is detached.

That is a reproduction mount from Accumounts, I went for the split ring variety because I wanted to be able to use a standard 1" tube if necessary it comes with shims to make them fit. Plus I had no interest in a mount where you have to disassemble the scope to install the rings, and then silver solder it in place. I used a Weaver K4 for a while before I got the Hensoldt.

That scope is not ideal for that mount, because the focus mechanism is actually pinched by the rear ring, and won't move. The Knurled ring between the rear mount and the ocular lens bell is how you adjust the focus. This wouldn't be an issue on the original style mount I don't think. The Zeiss style scope the focus is on the turret, I don't think it would have the same problem. It is a non-issue, I focused it for 100 yards and it works fine at any range I shoot it, out to 800 or so. A lot of 4X scopes are fixed focus anyway, but it is worth mentioning.