Reproduction 1911A1?

cannonfire

Are there any companies that are reproducing 1911s with the same spec as the 1911A1?

I love the look of the old WWII 1911 and just was wondering if any body was reproducing them

RickB

You want the same spec, or the look? The Springfield G.I. is pretty close and pretty inexpensive. Apparently, the closest modern-day replica, in terms of spec, is Norinco, but those haven't been imported for a number of years, though you should be able to find one for no more than a new Springfield.
Colt made a limited run (Colt O1970MA), within the last year or two, of a gun that sort of looks like a circa 1940 M1911A1, in blue, but they're pretty pricey.
Colt also made a parkerized repro, about ten years ago, but they didn't make many, and they're also $$.

dsk

Nobody makes an exact repro, although the discontinued Colt M1911A1 replicas of about ten years ago were pretty close. Of current production the Springfield GI Mil-Spec is the closest match aside from markings and a few other minor details, but production of those has been suspended indefinitely. That leaves us with Auto Ordnance's WW2 model, which looks pretty good although it has a Series 80-style firing pin safety, Rock Island's base model, and the Norinco (unless you live inside the USA, in which case the Norc is a no-go). Oddly enough Colt has nothing in their current catalog that could pass for an M1911A1 repro, although I guess you could buy a Series 70 and have it Parkerized and end up with a reasonable facsimile.

10-96

Springfield GI Mil-Spec is the closest match aside from markings and a few other minor details, but production of those has been suspended indefinitely.
:mad: Anybody heard anything as to the reasoning behind that? Those things were selling like crazy!

dayman

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the profit margins were too small on the base models. There's less headache in selling one gun that makes you $100 than 10 that make you $10.

Auto426

Anybody heard anything as to the reasoning behind that? Those things were selling like crazy!

The official word was something along the lines of they received too many orders and decided to stop taking orders until they could catch up. However, judging by the way they removed the G.I. from their website my guess is that they just plain dropped that model. Didn't really bother me though, as I sold my G.I. for almost exactly what I paid for it 5 years ago.

WVsig

Find yourself a nice Sistema... They are around for $500 to $600..

sistema6.gif

sistema5.gif

sistema1.gif

dsk

The Sistemas make great shooter-grade substitutes for a USGI M1911A1, since they were made from drawings supplied by Colt and with help from Colt technicians. However at this late date it's getting harder and harder to find a decent one that doesn't look like it went through at least three wars, each time on the losing side. I found a decent arsenal-refurbished one that's a fantastic shooter, but it was an easy choice as the others I found at the time were all in pretty sad shape.

WVsig

The Sistemas make great shooter-grade substitutes for a USGI M1911A1, since they were made from drawings supplied by Colt and with help from Colt technicians. However at this late date it's getting harder and harder to find a decent one that doesn't look like it went through at least three wars, each time on the losing side.

I agree they are getting harder to find but if one is patient you can still find them.

nate45

I like my Kahr/Auto-Ordnance WW2 Parkerized hasn't been anything but good.

100_1151.jpg

The grip strap is a little square and the trigger is polymer, but its pretty good for a +/- $500 gun. I've only tried hardball in it and its functioned great, no problems so far, but I haven't ever really tortured it.

Brian48

I've had good results with my Kahr-built AO as well. I have swapped out the factory plastic grips with a set of walnuts, but other than that, it's about as close as you're going to get towards a WWII repro for $500+/-.

cannonfire

Thanks for the info guys. There is just something about that look that is pulling me to spend money I don't have. Looks like more online shopping and hoping I win the lottery!

jibberjabber

I've been looking around for a reproduction 1911A1 as well, preferably with a blue finish. So far I like the Metro Arms "Classic" which comes with a matte blue finish and the Cimarron M1911 that has a polished blue finish.

Right now I'm leaning towards Metro Arms. They're both imported from the Philippines, but are different manufacturers.

mordis

My issue with the SPringfield 1911a1 milspec is the firing pin. You cant use any other firing pin in them then springfield spec titanium. I know titanium is sapposed to be better and safer, but mine gave me nothing but trouble. Constant light primer strikes. I tried to change it out for a aftermakert steel one(with appropriate main spring) but apparently Springfield changed the design of the firing pin and channel to make it impossible to add any other style of firing pin. I even tried a mil spec steel firing pin from a Government pistol, and it would not even seat all the way into the channel.

It is for that reason im lear of buying another springfield... If they changed the firing pin, to there proprietary design what other parts did they alter in such a fashion?

overkill0084

Geez, how about the original?

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtSeries70.aspx

...This pistol features the legendary Series 70 firing system, making it a faithful reproduction to Government Models manufactured prior to World War II. This pistol also features an arched steel mainspring housing and a short steel trigger. A standard safety lock, standard grip safety and spur hammer complete this authentic throwback to Colt semi-automatics of days gone by.

jibberjabber

higher pricetag

Geez, how about the original?

What actual advantage does the Colt Series 70 have over the less expensive reproductions? I don't mind spending a little extra to get my money's worth, but it's twice the price. Is it twice the value in terms of quality? I wouldn't want to spend $500 just for a rollmark when I can spend it on ammo.

RickB

The major difference is that a Colt is the real thing. Some people value that highly, others don't value it much at all. Buy a new Rolex, or a new Roleks; the latter probably keeps time as well, and costs a lot less.

Auto426

It is for that reason im lear of buying another springfield... If they changed the firing pin, to there proprietary design what other parts did they alter in such a fashion?

Springfield doesn't use a proprietary firing pin. They use a titanium .38 Super sized firing pin instead of the tradition steel .45 sized one. The smaller titanium firing pin weighs less and is much less likely to over come the force of the firing pin spring and punch a primer after the gun is dropped. This setup allows Springfield to pass drop safety tests without using a firing pin safety system like Colt's Series 80 design.

What actual advantage does the Colt Series 70 have over the less expensive reproductions? I don't mind spending a little extra to get my money's worth, but it's twice the price. Is it twice the value in terms of quality? I wouldn't want to spend $500 just for a rollmark when I can spend it on ammo.

As compared to a Rock Island, Auto Ordnance, or similar entry level 1911 Colt uses higher quality materials throughout the gun and has a higher degree of fit and finish. The gun is also built to all the original and proper specs. Your getting a lot more than just a rollmark for the extra $500.

Chris_B

:D Nate, My Worcester-made A-O 1911A1PKZ has been woefully unreliable from the get go, and since I got a Series 70, I never took it to a 'smith to get corrected. I like it though, particularly the small rollstamps. But I did find that I could drop in a USGI 1911A1 trigger and it looks pretty good:

m1911A1.jpg