Reporting a POTENTIAL threat.....

Duxman

There have been many discussion on how to handle dangerous dogs - so I will skip that portion.

I am trying to figure a way to report a potential threat in our neighborhood so that the police get it on the record, just in case a future incident occurs:

There is a neighborhood dog that is extremely agressive: A 100 pound four foot tall rottweiler mix. On sight of our dogs (especially ours) - its owners literally have to tear it away so it wont charge us.

What can I tell my local PD or animal control right now so they can take note and talk to the owners?

Do I need the actual homeowners address? (They dont live on my same block my often walk their dog over.)

What facts can I go with to justify report - this dog has not attacked anyone yet. But I fear for my wifes safety when she walks our dog because sometimes their kids who barely weight more than their aggressive dog sometimes takes care of the dog duty.

We do our best to avoid this animal but because we live in such close proximity, it could get bad.

Samurai

So, what is it, exactly, that you'd like to know? How to tell animal control about it? Call them and tell them. Call the police and tell them, too. If you can talk to the owners, tell them as well.

Tell them exactly what you just told us. No magic involved.

junkpile

Indeed, and wording can matter. Making it clear that the dog is a threat without lying, as it has not yet done anything.

It seems that the dog is acting in aggressive manner with clear-cut hostile intentions, while the owners of the dog are negligently allowing it to be the responsibility of children who cannot reasonably be expected to be able to control it. Under these circumstances, it seems your life & well-being, (as well as those of others on your block) is at risk. You wanted to know if there is anything you can do, because you believe it only a matter of time before a tragedy strikes, and a person is maimed.

That seems to be your thought, and I think saying it in such terms is your best way of scaring them into action (even if the action is only sending someone out to look around, or putting it on file), rather than staying negligent.

BikerRN

I would call your local Police "Non-Emergency" line and report this dog and situation. Also call your local Animal Control and report the same thing.

Then, stop walking your dog when there is a high likelyhood of the aggressive dog being out and about. If you know of a dangerous situation yet do nothing to avoid it you may be put in to a bad legal situation if something does in fact happen.

You have prior knowledge of the dog's aggressiveness and fear that it may do something. Yet you didn't take "Reasonable" precautions to avoid a confrontation. I can see how this can and most likely will play in court.

No, I'm not a Lawyer, just had to hire a few over the years.

Biker

You might ask the mailman (person) how the dog acts to them. As above reporting is a good idea. If the person delevering the mail has a problem, that information may help.
James:rolleyes: :) :cool:

Duxman

Good general suggestions guys thanks.

Biker,

As I stated before - I avoid going where they walk their dog. But if it is in FRONT of my house - what am I supposed to do - let my dog crap in my living room.

I think its definately unfair for them to restrict my movements because they are causing danger to me and my family by being out there.

PJW001

contacting authorities

"I would call your local Police "Non-Emergency" line and report this dog and situation. Also call your local Animal Control and report the same thing."

Do indeed call as suggested, also be sure to:
-get the name and rank of the individual whom you speak with.
-Ask who the commanding officer is.
-Confirm with the individual with you are speaking with if a record of your call will be made and if you could have a report # if this is possible.

The above steps will give whomever you speak with the hints that you be taken seriously and advise the proper individual of your concerns.

MDman

before going to the authorites I would talk to the owner. tell them about your concerns and give them the oppurtunity to deal with the "problem".

SuckLead

We had this problem a few years ago with an Australian Shephard and some little tiny wirey dog of unknown origin. Our problem was the dogs were never on leashes and could jump or go under the fence around their yard. But they teamed up on people. We talked to her about it several times and she blew a lot of smoke, but then they went after a 12 year old neighbor girl. The authorities were called and not much was done even though visible wounds were left on the girl. She was given a ticket and a stern talking to, but the dogs remained free to roam.

How I ended it is another story. The dogs stopped roaming when they came after me. They got close enough and she came ambling out and just watched them. She came running when I took my gun out (no, I didn't shoot either dog, they actually stopped running at me and I put it away). It was probably not the best idea, but the dogs never roamed free again. And when she called the cops on me nothing happened. The cop told me it was fine, I was justified.

In your situation, instead of the gun, I would talk to the owner a lot. Also, since the dog is usually leashed when you run into it, try to develop a pattern of when they walk. You probably know from experience dogs like to go out at the same times. Figure out when she walks the dog and when she comes back. Take your dog out before or after she walks her dog. That may be the safest bet.

Jason607

Before you start a neighborhood feud you might want to nicely talk to the owners and make sure the dogs really are a danger. Maby they are just acting that way. They are teritorial, but it doesn't mean agressive.

BillCA

+1...no +2 on talking to the dog's owner.

Since they have kids who walk the dog, it may be that the dog is a gregarious goof-ball at home and even playful with visitors who are invited into the house. But when walking in public, he displays aggression towards other dogs either out of a territorial instinct or fear of the other dogs (ususally through lack of socialization with other dogs).

A visit with the dog's owners will give you a chance to assess their attitudes and how much they care about others in the area. If their attitude is "tough beans" about your needing to alter your schedule then I'd consider the threat serious and likely. On the other hand, if they're nice people and willing to resolve things, it's likely they're responsible enough to see that the dog is controlled.

Rott's are intimidating dogs and some people buy them for that reason. If the dog is friendly and curious about an invited visitor, do try to get to know the dog and even play with him a bit. That goes a long way towards the dog's attitude towards "outside people". And he'll probably be curious about the smell of your dog on your clothing.

Hopefull, all works out fine. But if the dog's owners are impolite, discourteous or simply unsympathetic, let them know that letting their kids walk a large powerful dog they can't control is simply "not acceptable" and they have been warned. Also let them know that it's their responsibility and liability if the dog injures another dog or person. Then you can make your report to the local authorities by saying you tried to get them to understand but they were "unreceptive" to your approach.

Duxman

Thanks guys. I will have to work some to get an accurate schedule from these folks. They seem to walk their dog at random times.

I like these suggestions. Certainly good alternatives.