Replacing the firing pin on a S&W revolver hammer

dahermit

Has anybody done it? Is it simply driving out the old rivet and installing a new one?
The hammer mounted firing pin uses a hollow rivet that is held in place by being flared on both sides of the hammer. Often when removing the hollow rivet, it is badly deformed, so it may be prudent to order a new rivet with the new firing pin.

I have removed and replaced a firing pin in such a hammer. I think that I remember (it was a long time ago), re-using the old rivet and using a small punch with the tip broken off (leaving an angle that approximated the angle of the rivet's flare), to flare the rivet. You may be able to do the same provided you are handy with tools and can improvise as I did.

wpsdlrg

It is as you say - just removing the old rivet, then replacing the hammer nose. The later ones are equipped with a spring, so careful not to lose it. Just make sure that you do not flare the new rivet too tightly. The hammer nose needs to free float - the rivet being too tight (and the hammer nose not moving freely) is a major cause of breakage for these.

James K

Member In Memoriam
FWIW, the S&W hammer nose does not often break but they do; I did a fair number of them and got so I didn't even remove the hammer to replace the hammer nose. There are tricks to doing it that way, though, so removing the hammer may be the best approach.

Jim