Replacing early '80s CZ 75 grips.

RCS

I was curious if it is possible to find replacement grips for an early CZ ('84 Bauska import). Tecolote, you mentioned that it has the same grip style as the Witness pistols today, will replacement grips made for those work on the early CZ's?

Ruben Nasser

The grip frame and retaining screw location is the same as in the new CZ-75. You can get the originals (new style, wood or plastic) from cz-usa.com , or you can get several aftermarket models in rubber or wood from Hogue, Butler Creek, and others. I like the shape of the plastic original grips, but they are prone to crack (happened to me), so I put a pair of "custom grips" (designed by Craig Spiegel) from Butler Creek, and they are excellent.

Strayhorn

Ruben's right, the Butler Creek rubber knock-offs of the Craig Spegal combat grips are just the thing for the CZ-75 series. These were formerly marketed by Uncle Mike's in their "Custom Grade" line of grips, you can sometimes still find these in shops or at shows at a reduced rate in the "close out" bin. I got a pair for $10 at the last show I attended.

CZ has, to my imperfect knowledge, put three different sets of grips on the 75 - the originals with the old-style (pre-war) CZ logo, which is indeed very cool but hard to find (CZ-USA didn't have any the last time I called, but said they were ordering some from the factory due to demand). The intermediate set, which I got on my CZ back in '91 or so, is the best of the factory grips, IMHO. They are similar to the Spegal grips, all checkered with nice contours up by the web of the hand. The current grips are similar to the "ambi" grips put out by Browning for their handguns. I say "ambi" advisedly because they don't really fit either hand.

Keep an eye open for Hogue checkered wood grips. I saw a set at the NRA show that looked suspiciously like Spegal grips.

Regards,

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC