Replacing CZ grip screws with Hex Screws

WVsig

Looking to replace the Phillips screws on this P01 and my 75B with hex screws. Anyone know the size and thread pitch? Looks like they are M3.5 can anyone confirm. Has anyone replaced them with M3.5 from a hardward store vs CZ customs screws? CZ customs sells them but $10 for a set of screws is a ripoff.

TunnelRat

I bought the ones off the CZ custom shop website. I DON'T suggest them. The metal was so soft that I stripped the hex hole after one installation, and I'm not exactly the Hulk.

Walt Sherrill

Brownells carries a wide variety of grip screws. (I didn't check, but suspect MidwayUSA does, too -- as their parts catalog is extensive.) If you can get the specs* from someone (such as CGW or the CZ Custom Shop), either of them they'll probably have what you need. If you have a "fasterner" supplier in town or nearby, they may have them, too.

*The CZ Custom Shop screws are described as M3.5 Allen Head Grip Screws. I suspect someone in the customer service or technical area could help match your need to their inventory.

Here's the Brownell's link: http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=screws&dym=y&psize=96

Venom1956

let us know what u find. I read somewhere that 1911 normal or slims screws would work you might have to shorten them. but dont quote me on that.

Rinspeed

If you have a "fasterner" supplier in town or nearby, they may have them, too

I was going to suggest the same thing, if you happen to have a Fastenal in your area they can match up a high quality screw. You could just take one of them to a local hardware store and verify they are M3.5 and look online for FHSCS (flat head socket cap screw). I just did a quick search and it looks like RC cars use this screw a lot so you might try your local hobby shop.

ETA; flat head screws are measured including the head, not just the threads, so the total length is what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Walt Sherrill

I suspect normal hex screws might be too tall for grip use. Just a thought.

Probably true, but a carefully-applied Dremel cutting disk can shorten them, and if done carefully, beveling the end, you can still use the screws (i.e., they'll start into the threads in the grip). Been there, done that... just not recently. ;)

WVsig

I found these and I think I am going to give them a try. $7.50 shipped and they are short enough to work with slim CZ grips. They have black and stainless.

HBI-STAINLESS-TORX-1.jpg

http://hbindustries.net/products/cz-stainless-torx-screws/

g.willikers

A good way to ensure that cut down screws will work is to run a nut up on the threads, above the cut, first.
Then, after making the cut, removing the nut will straighten out the threads.

Walt Sherrill

g.willikers said:
A good way to ensure that cut down screws will work is to run a nut up on the threads, above the cut, first.

Hadn't heard that approach before. Good tip. I'll remember it!!

WVsig

New Torx screws arrived. They are great. Look better than the stock phillips heads. They are the right height for the slim grips and they even came with a set of plate washers.

I highly recommend them at this point. Time will tell how they hold up but a this point I am happy!

Snyper

No clue what you mean by "normal" but every screw I've ever ordered I specified the length.
I suspect they mean the height of the screw HEAD

A "normal" hex head screw has a tall cylindrical haed

Doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers

Hadn't heard that approach before. Good tip. I'll remember it!!

To go just a bit further, before you remove the nut add a drop of oil and when the nut hits resistance (the buggered up part of the threads) back it off a bit then push again. Do this until the nut goes back and forth cleanly over the cut area just like you are tapping a thread.