Replacement stock for Franchi Momentum

kilotanker22

Does anyone here know of anyone who makes a replacement stock for this rifle with an adjustable comb? I like the rifle, but to fit a 44 mm objective on that really long action. I had to use extra high rings. The drop at the comb is such on that rifle that when I get a good cheek weld I am literally looking at the base. Boyd's does not make them as of yet and I don't really want to send my rifle off to have them take the pattern and produce a stock.

Scorch

to fit a 44 mm objective on that really long action. I had to use extra high rings
This doesn't really make sense. You chose a short scope and the scope bells are above the front action ring? You had to mount the scope farther back due to LOP issues? A 44mm scope shouldn't require anything taller than medium rings. Pics?

kilotanker22

I will get some photos tonight.

I did not buy a new scope for it cause I already had one. It is a Vortex Crossfire2 4-12x44.
With Weaver Quad lock medium rings the objective bell would contact the barrel and the magnification ring would contact the rear base.

reynolds357

This doesn't really make sense. You chose a short scope and the scope bells are above the front action ring? You had to mount the scope farther back due to LOP issues? A 44mm scope shouldn't require anything taller than medium rings. Pics?
Usually low will work. I just mounted a 56mm on a Savage 110 with Medium rings. It was tight, but just barely cleared. They were Burris signature rings which run a smudge higher than most mediums do.

reynolds357

I will get some photos tonight.

I did not buy a new scope for it cause I already had one. It is a Vortex Crossfire2 4-12x44.
With Weaver Quad lock medium rings the objective bell would contact the barrel and the magnification ring would contact the rear base.
I ran into that recently. I had to cut a beveled scotia on the rear base.

kilotanker22

Also I guess that I should have mentioned that I could not get a single set of High rings anywhere locally. The weaver medium rings are .162" from top of base to bottom of scope tube. The Extra High rings are .580" from top of base to bottom of scope tube. Weaver High rings are .328" from top of base to bottom of scope tube.

I think that the High rings would have worked, but they were unavailable. I apologise for making it sound as though Extra High were the only ones that will work.

In the photos you will see a couple things. First, when I first tried to mount the Medium rings, The magnification ring would contact the rear base. Since this action is so freaking long I can not move the scope back any further than it is already so I milled off some material from the rear base making sure not to mill any material from where the rings contact the base. With the Medium rings the magnification ring would still barely contact the section I milled off of the base, but wwould allow the scope to sit down into the ring. That is when I noticed that the objective bell would contact the barrel beforethe scope tube would even sit all the way into the ring. At this point I realized that the medium rings were not going to work.

So I went looking locally for a set of high rings since I figured that is what I needed. Unfortunately the LGS had zero High rings. So off to Walmart I went to see if I could find a set of Quad locks, but they only had medium and Extra High.

I do have several sets of Vortex rings that would have worked, but they are all 30mm.

Anyway, I took one of the unused accufit inserts from one of my Savage boxes, trimmed the ears off of it then epoxied it into place atop the comb of the stock. Then I placed some cotton fabric over top to raise it a wee bit more then wrapped it in black tape. Works fine even though it doesn't look the best. When this Covid-19 crap blows over I may just send that stock to Boyds to be copied.

kilotanker22

Here are some photos. Not sure why my camera always makes metal look rusted. It is a little dirty though since I was out shooting today

Attachments

• IMG_21032020_185536_(800_x_800_pixel).jpg
    IMG_21032020_185536_(800_x_800_pixel).jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_21032020_185457_(800_x_800_pixel).jpg
    IMG_21032020_185457_(800_x_800_pixel).jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_21032020_185440_(800_x_800_pixel).jpg
    IMG_21032020_185440_(800_x_800_pixel).jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 104