Replacement front sight for 1851s (& others)

dlbarr

Mine groups real well but shoots pretty high, I have filed off about as much of the rear sight (hammer) as I feel I should. The top of the cylinder is just starting to show at the bottom of the 'V' and throws off my sight focus just a tad.

Does anybody make a replacement front sight for these? Also, does this same situation exist on other Colts: 1860s, Dragoons etc? Thanks

Fingers McGee

Coincidentally, I just sent VTI Gunparts an email about replacement Uberti 1851 Navy sights. VTIs replacement Uberti 1851 front sight is .225 in tall including the part in the barrel. By my measurement, that is about .160 above the barrel. If yours is shorter, a VTI replacement may be what you need.

Or.......... you could make one out of a piece of 1/8 inch brazing rod chucked in a dremel and some jewelers files like I did yesterday afternoon.

Last edited:

Hellgate

I've removed the front sight (lifted it out of the hole) and epoxied a cut off #4X3/4" brass flat head phillips wood screw (upside down). This fix made a nice tall bead/post that a little cold bluing "ages" nicely and it looks good if you don't goop too much epoxy onto the barrel. Cut, size, & shape the "bead" before you glue it on. The simplest fix I've found so far for Navies. See photo below. It makes a nice, taller sight with a broad base.

Attachments

• NavyFrSight.jpg
    NavyFrSight.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 117