replace broken part of Glock 17+2 mag?

EricM

This morning I purchased a G17 with 2 factory 17+2 mags, and I noticed after I got home that one of the mags is buggered at the top. Any way to get a new part to replace the broken piece without buying an entire magazine?

This was my first private sale gun, and I paid $450, which included 4 boxes of factory ammo, Safariland holster, the 2 mags, and a mag loader. Seemed like a decent deal for Idaho.

glock_mag.jpg

Last edited:
J

Jeff, CA

It's hard to tell from the picture what's buggered, but if it's the tube, the answer is no. The tube is the "high-capacity" part; all other parts (follower, spring, floor plate) are still available.

dawg23

Eric:

You don't know just how good of a deal you made. I assume you paid a lower price for the mag due to its condition. The good news is that Glock will refurbish it completely (except for the +2 aftermarket parts) for NO CHARGE.

Send it to :

Glock, Inc.
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
Attn: Warranty Dept.

Doesn't matter how old or where you bought it. Glock will make it like new (spring, follower, liner, etc) for FREE. Expect to get it back in +/- 2 weeks.

Just one more reason to buy a Glock - the best customer service in the business.

Dawg23

JRiggs

Hi,

I cant really see it in your pic, but if its little cuts in the feedlips or on the sides just underneath them, its perfectly normal. After a Glock mag is used a little, this will happen. After it reaches a certain point, it will stabilize and never worsen. But, as mentioned above, if you send it to Glock they will make it right if its a problem. Youll just be out a few bucks shipping. Give them a call, describe the problem, and follow their advice. Enjoy your pistol, you did great by the way.

Jason Demond

You can clearly see in the photopraph that the front of the mag tube has a rather large chunk out of it. I would not use it, you should sent it back to Glock and they will do right by you.;)

EricM

Kimber Man's got it right. There is a big chunk of plastic missing from the front, top of the mag. It will properly load a cartridge into the pistol, but I don't trust it enough to attempt to shoot it. I'll contact Glock and see what they say. Thanks for the advice.

I forgot to mention that it has Trijicon nightsights and a Hogue grip on it, too. It seemed like a good deal, but I'm not a Glock man, so I wasn't sure. I'll know for sure when I try it out tomorrow :).

Eric

JRiggs

Ok, upon looking closer I see what you mean. Definitely follow the advice of the others and send it to Glock. They'll fix you up.

J

Jeff, CA

Okay, after turning up the brightness on my monitor, the trouble is obvious. :eek:

Can anyone confirm that Glock will recondition "high-capacity" mags for no charge?

Blue Duck357

I just sent sent two in a few days ago, but no word yet. I followed the generel advice on Glocktalk and just sent them in with a note on what the problem was.

They are apparently very good at backing thier product but it's a real hassel to actually get through to talk to anybody in Smyrna.

dawg23

Jeff CA:

I can confirm - I've sent several (mags that I bought used), and just shipped another to Glock on 7/21. They come back in "factory new" working order.

On the last one, the previous owner had messed with the spacing of the metal lips. I planned to install a new spring when it came back. Guess what - Glock put in a new spring AND a new follower (and a new metal liner), ALL AT NO CHARGE.

As far as the other guy's comment about the hassle of contacting the factory staff, I can only say that I sometimes get thru on the first call and at other times I have left a voice mail. Either way, I have always been able to speak to a person who was obviously competent and obviously conscientious.

If you can find a handgun manufacturer with better customer service, I would like to hear about them.

Dawg23

EricM

I called Glock this morning, and I was told to send them the mag, and they'll see what they can do. She said they don't have pre-ban tubes anymore, so I'm not counting on them fixing it. We'll see.
Eric