Removing the trigger from a post 64 Win Model 70

I am prepping a rifle to glass bed the stock. Want to remove all of the trigger assembly, but the sear pin baffles me. One end is about 1/8" diameter, and that is on the opposite side from the one in the picture. That is where I tried to lightly punch the pin to remove it releasing the sear assembly. The end of the sear pin visible in this picture is inset into a recess, and evidently the only force holding it is friction. (The trigger was removed after this photo was taken.)

Do I need to just tap the punch a bit harder to get the pin to move? Parts may be hard to come by for this gun---just because Winchester may no longer manufacture and support models this old---probably 20 years or more.

Help??? Please?? :confused:

Thanks!

Attachments

• Winchester Model 70 trigger.png
    Winchester Model 70 trigger.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 122

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
Drive it out with a good punch close to the same diameter, it will come out. One could make a pin like that if need be, but these are available. Drive it from the small end.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers! Appreciate them much. I thought that would be how to do it, but have ended up in a dead end a couple of times when I should have asked.