Removing the Bayonet on a M44

finfanatic

I picked this up Thursday and have not fired it yet, but I am thinking about
removing the spike bayonet. I seem to recall reading that removing the bayonet could mess up the sighting on the rifle though?

mn44-right.jpg

mn44-left-close.jpg

Anyone have a M44 with the bayonet removed? How does it shoot?

raftman

Yeah, exactly. I've heard bad things about what happens to accuracy if one gets the bayonet off, particularly on a gun that's not known for extreme accuracy to begin with.

tater134

the accuracy issue has to do with the bayonet being deployed, not removed.

Thats correct.With the bayonet extended the rifle will have a slightly different POI than if its folded since the Soviets sighted the rifles in with the bayonet fixed.Since I hunt with my m44 and dont have the bayonet extended I just adjusted the sights so the rounds are where I want them with it folded.

finfanatic

Range report

I took the M44 to the range Sunday. At 25 yards, the rifle hit about 6 inches to the right. I moved it out to 50 yards and the impact changed to about 12 inches to the right.

I need to drift the front sight and see if I can close it up some.

On another note: RECOIL. This rifle kicks like two mules. The 91/30 only kicks like one mule.

I took the bayonet off, by the way.

And yes the Bolt is definitely more sticky than my 91/30. I plan to polish it up some and clean the receiver really well. But I was told some of the M44's have very sticky bolts.

SigP6Carry

The sticky bolts are definitely fixable. There's a few tutorials on Youtube that really help. I didn't need to do much more than clean the cosmo off the bolt on my 91/30 to make it useable, but it's still a little sticky.

Also, if you pop the bayonet back on and deploy it, it should clear up the POI vs. POA issue. But yours doesn't shoot high at all at 50 yards?

erwos

I tried removing the bayonet on mine and got absolutely nowhere. Is there a trick to removing that screw?

Avenger

Odds are the bayo screw will be staked. You may have to relieve the area where the staking presses the mount against the screw by drilling shallow holes (in the SCREW please, don't mess up the mount, you can get a replacement screw MUCH more easily!)

MagnumWill

No no no, don't start drilling holes! all you need is an impact driver- Two whacks and then unscrew it, that's how I got mine off (and you can put it back on just as easy).

finfanatic

Screw

Mine came off fairly easily with a big Craftsman screwdriver.

I found a Chinese M44 at a small gunstore. Anybody have any experience with these. The guy has $139 on it but I think I could get him down to $100. This rifle has that recoil pad on it that was built for the Mosin;

From this site: http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mos.html

Scroll down on the page to see it.

Avenger

I did use the word "MAY". I've got some that would come off with that little flathead blade that comes in most cheap fold-out pocketknives. And I've got one that would be impossible to remove with a flathead driver, it has stakes all around the hole and some actually bridging the screw and the mount. It ain't coming off short of applying more torque than the slot could take. Ivan Bayostakervich brought his "A" game to work that day.:D

MagnumWill

Heh. My M44 only had 1 stake point, which was pretty easy to defeat with the impact driver. Funny that they would stake it more than that-that's them saying "buy an m38 or 91/59!" I eventuall put it back on, I missed it after a while :)

You might like it better that way, but my typical Russian 44 with a fairly bright bore surprised me:

it shoots much Better at 50 yards with the Bayonet Retracted, using common 50's-vintage Bulgarian ammo.

Last edited:

TriumphGuy

You need three things to remove just about any stubborn screw.

1) A properly sized screwdriver.
2) Some heat.
3) A couple of good sharp whacks from a mallet on the grip of the screwdriver.