Removing sealant from pulled bullets

condor bravo

I pulled a box of 20 Lapua .308 Win 185 gr HP-BT bullets that turned out having a thick, crusted coating of black sealant at the junction of bullet and case (pulled for the purpose of using the bullets with another project and replacing the .308s with another bullet). Removing the sealant from the bullets was desirable but the question was how to easily do it. The answer turned out to be by chucking the bullet point first into an electric drill and then spinning for about 20 seconds with fine steel wool being held against the bullet base and sealant coating. The bullet configuration would suggest the rounds were intended for match shooting, but the box does not indicate that. Why the sealed bullet one might ask? Especially if for a match round, it seems like that could have negative influence on bullet pull with variation from round to round.

Last edited:

Clark

I have some Portuguese Berdan pull down 308 brass the black sealant inside the neck.

I would like to know how to get it out of there.

condor bravo

I've done something similar by taking a cleaning rod eye-tip, preferably aluminum rather than plastic, threading the more durable bronze wool through the eye, chucking the eye-tip into a drill, and spinning inside case necks. Give that a try using steel wool.

Mobuck

I just dump about 50 bullets in the tumbler with 100 or so dirty .223 or 200 9mm brass and let them run for a while. The bullets come out free of sealant.

10-96

It may sound goofy, but Rain-X takes the stuff off.

Some years ago, I dabbed some on my trucks rocker panel to see if it would get some tar off- it did. Then I got curious about what else it would do, so I went around the house with a bottle of Rain-X and Kroil just to see what all the stuff would clean. The wife was hard to live with for a day or two- but I found it amazing what all those two things would clean up and de-goo.

F. Guffey

10-96, The wife has two list, one for vinegar, the other for WD-40, no matter what the problem, it gets one or the other.

Tumbling works if the bullets do not have soft points. Alcohol works but evaporates fast, meaning it could be a fire hazard.

The sealant can stack up ahead of the bullet when seated into the neck, it can take on the appearance of a 'do-nut' but not at the shoulder/neck juncture. I would suggest the powder be removed and the neck brushed/cleaned.

I have the RCBS case prep center, I have a bore brush installed in one of the five positions that rotates with everything else.

F. Guffey

Clark

I have noticed an odor tolerance variability in wifes.
A woman can put a quart of Ammonia on the kitchen floor to strip wax, but will not tolerate a few drops of Ammonia based Copper solvent on a cleaning patch inside the house.
This has caused me to store and use all testosterone based solvents in the man cave.

F. Guffey

I traded for something (s) I needed? wanted, In the trade a member of the small group wanted the old solvent for cleaning barrels/military types. I had a can/unopened, something like old stock. I offered to share, not being greedy and knowing a little goes a long way we popped the metal cap on the can and filled a small medicine bottle with a good lid. I spilled a small amount on my hands, that small amount did the P/U in.

I was going through 9 barrels looking for something salvageable, most were 303 P14s, Mauser and one 30/06 Remington 03 1942 barrel. Because the can was finally opened I thought I would give the 03 barrel the benefit of a good cleaning. I never gave it another thought until I went into the house. My granddaughter and wife made it very clear, I was not to use 'that stuff' again.

F. Guffey