removing scratches on gun reciever

benny27

well here's my problem, I was loosening up some screws on my scope ring and my screw driver slipped and now i have a wonderful scratch down the side of the reciever. The rifle is basically brand new and does not have another blimish on it. It's one of those things that drive me up the wall. I tried using some of the birchwood and casey blueing products with little success. It actually only discolored the blueing from the original finish. Does anyone know how to get rid of scratches on recievers and any decent blueing that works. The scratch isn't very deep. I talked to a gunsmith and he said the process is kinda complex and would cost around 215 dollars for the whole thing, because the whole receiver would have to be done. I just hate to spend that for one little scratch. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Dfariswheel

That's a problem with blued guns.... scratch or otherwise mar them and there's nothing you can do about it.
Scratches in the bluing can't be "repaired" or somehow polished out.

The only possible touch up is cold blue, which as you discovered, isn't very good, and is known to leave permanent blotches in the surrounding blue.

Sorry, short of a complete re-blue there's nothing to be done, and if you want a re-blue, better pick one of the professional re-finisher companies or you may not like the way it looks when you get it back.
Too many local or cheap jobs look terrible.

Tom2

I have filled in some scratches with cold blue to the extent that they are not visible unless you look closely. And, as you have discovered, you do need to attempt to apply it as closely to the scratch as possible, not just daub it on all over the area. I have had reasonable results with Formula 44/40 cold blue. But it is a liquid not the gel type that comes in the tube, so you have to apply it carefully. Maybe dip a toothpick in and work into the scratch. Not gonna ever get a cold blue to match the color of a factory blue but if you get it to take well, it will look alot better than bare steel and often with a good film of gun oil over the top it sort of becomes almost invisible from any normal distance. Plus you have learned a lesson about home gunsmithing that everyone probably gets, more or less, at some point.