Removing primer crimp

FM12

Need input on anyone having used the RCBS crimped primer set-up that is used in-press, looks like a die...I have a Forester Co-Ax press...looking to use on some LC 223 and older 30-06...Thanks in advance, FM12

I haven't used the device, but presume it uses the press to swage the crimp out by running a ram in that has the right primer pocket profile. I own a Dillon swaging tool, so I am familiar with the process. The basic advantage to it is that it is faster than using a primer pocket reamer or other cutter to remove the crimp.

The drawback is that swaging forces the brass out around the sides of the primer pocket, causing a slightly raised area around the primer pocket on the face of the casehead. This flattens back down on firing and some flows back where it came from, so you often have to swage a second time before the crimp stops returning to interfere with primer seating. This is no problem with handguns, but on match rifle loads the raised area affects boltface thrust distribution. For that reason, you have to swage and fire the cases twice before you can count on them giving you match precision. I prefer to use a cutter on rifle cases for that reason, but I am trying to make match loads. If you are shooting less demanding targets, it may not be a problem for you.

Last edited:

UGH

I have one and have used it without issue. It's fine if you have a few to do once and awhile, But if you do alot of military brass Dillon makes one that makes doing it much easier. I have both and since I got the Dillon thats all I use.

crowbeaner

I have both the Dillon swager and the RCBS setup. I usually use the Dillon first to roll the crimp out of the way, and then run them through the RCBS setup to make sure the primer cup inside the pocket doesn't have a square edge to hang up the primer edge when seating the new primer. It takes more time to do it this way, but I feel the added work saves aggravation down the road. CB.

Ken O

I use the RCBS swagger, one suggestion...put a little sizing lube on the swagging button every four or five rounds. I use Imperial sizing wax. You will find the up stroke really jars the bench around without it.

totalloser

I use the rcbs crimp remover. I load hodgepodge military brass, and found that most of the crimps are cosmetic- the decrimp is a waste of time. What I do is use a progressive for processing brass (lube/decap, x-die, dillon trim) and set the decap pin so it just pushes the primer out. The ones that have the tight crimp (real crimp) the primer flexes, and leaves the primer in. Those ones I set aside and crimp. I get about 1 in 30 or 40 that needs the decrimp. I found no problem with the crimp pushing back out or anything, but of course I am using the rcbs. Occasionally there will be a goof, but so far, it has just been leaving a primer in and decrimping one that doesn't need it.
Hope this is helpful.
Oh, and of course, you can't use a decrimp die on a progressive. I use a turret for processing oddball stuff.

FM12

Thanks, totalloser, this is interesting, at least! I remember loading some crimped .45acp back in the '80s...just had to push a little harder on my Lee priming tool. Might try your method, TL...at least give it a try, Thanks!

snuffy

.I have a Forester Co-Ax press...looking to use on some LC 223 and older 30-06...Thanks in advance, FM12

FM, it won't work with your co-ax. The RCBS tool needs a round ram for the cup to force the case off the swager button. Also, the button that does the swaging needs to snap in like a shell holder into the top of the ram. You'll need a regular press of some sort to use the RCBS crimp swager.

BigJakeJ1s

CH4D makes a primer pocket swager that works like a ram-prime die (in fact it can be bought alone, or as a set with the ram-prime parts too, the only difference is the primer swage rod vs primer seating punches). It will work with the co-ax if you also get Forster's universal shell holder adapter for the co-ax.

I sent them a suggestion to offer a swaging insert to replace their primer seating punches for the press. The said they'd consider it. It would be a lot less costly than the CH4D swager and the shell holder adapter.

Andy

FM12

THANKS Snufy!! That's what I was afraid of, and EXACTLY what I needed to know, i was afraid it wouldn't work...you saved me some $$$! Now, off to find a deal on a Dillon swager!

totalloser

I goofed. I load a hodgepodge of .223 brass. Others may be different. Just thought I might add that. Maybe all the .45 and 7.62 really need it everytime.

WESHOOT2

before the 'net

Bought one; didn't work on my Co-Ax OR my Lyman Crusher II.

I have so many in-the-bag still-crimped once-fired US military 9mm cases it would make a 9 Major shooter cry LOL.