removing military crimp ?

jmorris

Depends, I have 3 different swage devices and a number of cutting tools to remove them.

The best way I have is station 3 on my 1050’s as it adds no extra work or time to the loading process.

50 shooter

I ream mine, just hit the rim of the primer pocket just enough to get rid of the crimp.

That's all you need, to much and you can ruin the brass.

USSR

Dillon's Super Swage 600. Only way to go unless you're just dealing with a handful of cases.

Don

lamarw

I agree with USSR. I just finished swaging over a 1,000 rounds of Lake City 5.56 brass last night. I got it done in no time at all. I was easily going through 2 pieces of brass a second. Being a little fumble fisted is the only thing slowing me down.

I have heard of folks using a drill press, and I don't see how you could do as quick as with the Dillon 600. It is also clean and does not make a mess. Your hands also don't get mangled up and sore.

44 AMP

Staff
I used, and still have, somewhere, the RCBS primer pocket swager kit. Then I discovered that the nose of my chamfering tool would fit, and a couple of twists cut out the GI primer pocket crimp just fine.

However, I am not doing 1,000 cases at a time, or anything even close to that these days. The chamfer tool does make my hand cramp, after a while, when that happens, I do something else. If you're looking to do a large batch at once, probably not the best way to go.

If you want the press mounted RCBS kit, you can have mine for a good price + shipping, I haven't used it in ages and likely never will again...

mikld

Lifelong machinist/mechanic here. The first time I encountered a primer pocket crimp I immediately thought of a countersink. That was over 25 years ago and have done thousands with zero problems; never removed "too much" metal. A 1/2" 60 degree countersink is easy to find in any decent hardware store. Can be done by hand or chucked in a drill (hand drill or drill press). Quick, easy, inexpensive.
https://www.mcmaster.com/countersinks

rebs

right now I am using a lyman primer pocket tool on my case prep center. Guess I'll stay with that

mgulino

I'm with mikld...A simple countersink chucked to a drill. It's quick and easy to remove a crimp...just be sure not to remove too much brass.

gwpercle

1. Cut away most of the crimp with a countersink or the small blade of my pocket knife.
2. Finish up with a Lyman hand reamer, cutting away the remainder .
3. Complete the job with Lyman Primer Pocket Uniforming Tool.

Notice each step involves cutting the crimp away....the reason is when a swag tool is used the brass has some spring back and usually doesn't do a complete and proper job.
With my method every pocket will be properly sized for new primers .
50 years ago all our 30-06, 45 acp and even 38 special were military surplus , dirt cheap and crimped ....so you learned how to deal with those pesky crimps .
Gary

Metal god

right now I am using a lyman primer pocket tool on my case prep center. Guess I'll stay with that

That's what I use but chuck it into my hand drill . At high speed with drill in left hand and case in my right hand I can ream out 500 in about 20 min which averages to about 1 every 2.4 seconds or so .

I have the RCBS press mounted swager . Hate that thing , takes way to long because you have to line up each case perfectly . I will add when using the drill method I do you need to have strong-ish fingers that are conditioned to handle 20min straight of work . I'm in construction and work with my hands every day all day so not an issue but if you're a keyboard tapper all day expect your hand/fingers to fatigue .

Rangerrich99

Lyman pocket reamer bit chucked into cordless drill. About seven-to-ten seconds I guess per piece. Trick is to let the drill do all the work; trying to run the drill at top speed while trying to jam the brass onto bit just makes the brass really hot and wears out your fingers. If you do it gently/slowly, you can feel the bit "bottom out" and you know you're done with that one and on to the next piece.

FrankenMauser

Chamfer/deburr tool (RCBS).
CH-4D primer pocket swage tool.
Lyman primer pocket reamer (handheld).
Lyman primer pocket reamer (case prep center).

Which comes out depends upon the situation and how much brass I'm processing.

rg1

Swage, Swage, Swage !! Simple and fast. No power tools needed or brass chips and shavings. No need to grip the case in your fingers while aligning the cutter to the pocket. Saying this, I load on single stage presses. I size in one press then move the case to the other press and swage with the RCBS primer pocket swaging die set. I also have the RCBS bench mounted swaging tool similar to the Dillion Super Swage which is supposed to be better? Still use the RCBS die in the 2nd press. My RCBS swage die has swaged many thousands of .223 cases and hundreds of 30-06 cases. Depends on your set-up and the steps you take. I do all my loading at the bench and don't want to go to the garage for a step to prevent brass shavings from contaminating my reloading room.

Metal god

Ranger i think you’re math is a bit off . 20min x 60sec divided by 500 pieces = 2.4 sec per piece . The 20 min is how long it takes to do 500 pieces but each piece really only takes about 1.5 seconds and is only in the drill for about 1/2 second but there’s other things taking up time . It’s really fast IMHO , not sure where you get 7 or 8 seconds ?? Your math says an hour+ to do 500 pieces . Like I said my hands have no problem doing it .